Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Strange ASIAIR goings on…

mistuk

I’ve got an ASIAIR and there’s some strange things happening…

I’ve connected an AM5 mount (to the usb 2 port) and an ASI224MC to one of the USB 3 ports. On connecting the camera it shows as USB3, but if I disconnect and reconnect it only shows as USB2. If I switch it to the other USB3 port it stays as USB3 even after a disconnection / reconnection 

I’ve tried it on full release firmware, beta firmware, I’ve tried it with being powered directly from a Nevada power supply, and powered via the AM5  I’ve tried different USB cables….

Anything else to try?

You can't switch the usb ports on an off with an air (not that I'm aware of). What is the OP trying to achieve?

Id assume you want the usb3 bandwidth but are suspecting you have a bad usb3 port?

Edited by Elp

7 hours ago, Elp said:

You can't switch the usb ports on an off with an air (not that I'm aware of). What is the OP trying to achieve?

Id assume you want the usb3 bandwidth but are suspecting you have a bad usb3 port?

I think Steve means in the asiair homescreen is turn the power buttons off for any usb socket from there. (this is an old version screenshot as all I had but should correlate) 

Lee 

Screenshot_20231113_065545_com.android.gallery3d_edit_2703344466754685.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
Addition

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

I think Steve means in the asiair homescreen is turn the power buttons off for any usb socket from there. (this is an old version screenshot as all I had but should correlate) 

Lee 

Screenshot_20231113_065545_com.android.gallery3d_edit_2703344466754685.jpg

Those are for the 12v out ports. I'm wondering where in the UI it tells you what is usb 2 and 3 when connected.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Elp said:

Those are for the 12v out ports. I'm wondering where in the UI it tells you what is usb 2 and 3 when connected.

It’s on the UI page for each camera.   It’s next to the displayed name of the camera being used.

I just tried disconnecting and reconnecting my ZWO ASI2600 camera on that page and it came back as USB3, which it should. So I couldn’t reproduce what Mistuk is seeing, in this way anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ouroboros said:

It’s on the UI page for each camera.   It’s next to the displayed name of the camera being used.

I just tried disconnecting and reconnecting my ZWO ASI2600 camera on that page and it came back as USB3, which it should. So I couldn’t reproduce what Mistuk is seeing, in this way anyway. 

Ah yes sorry, my mistake. And of course the 224mc is not a powered pro type camera so my question above is irrelevant, sorry.

I will try to recreate the same issue as the OP alludes to, see if it is a common thing but the fact you can't is ominous. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Elp said:

Exactly this.... it seems to be intermittent....

Perhaps I’ve missed the point here, but isn’t the AM5 connected with a USB2 cable and USB2 socket on the AM5?  Is the ASIair simply telling you that it’s connected to a USB2 device? Sorry if that’s not the issue. 

Just as an aside - I connect my ASI2600MC to one USB3 socket and plug my SanDisk flash disk into the other USB3 socket on the ASIair. I connect my ASIair to the AM5 wirelessly. That means I’ve only got one wire - the power cable - between the ASIair and the mount. 

Edited by Ouroboros

I think they're wondering why a usb3 port is reporting a usb3 camera plugged into said port as a usb2 connection on the one port, and the other works as expected. Tbh when I last did an FPS test between the usb3s on the plus Vs the usb2s on the mini, the FPS video capture was around the same between both devices, so not really sure where the usb3 gain is.

Edited by Elp

7 hours ago, Elp said:

Thank you, it was early in the morning. Engage my brain before fingers 😂

6 hours ago, Ouroboros said:

It’s on the UI page for each camera.   It’s next to the displayed name of the camera being used

This is what I meant to put 🙄

Lee 

• Haha 2