Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora Borealis UK 11/11/23

Ed in UK

Hope I'm posting this in the right forum, Mods please move if not (Sorry in Advance....)

Did anyone in the UK see the Aurora Borealis last night please ???? and if so where abouts were you ???

I'm just north of Lincoln and it's my wife's goal (now) to see this, it was in the media yesterday that you should be able to see it.

I downloaded an app, Aurora, which seemed quite helpful in showing KP Activity (??), probability of seeing it and sightings.

We watched as the sightings as they moved across northern Russia, Finland, Norway to Iceland then off to southern Greenland. Nothing for UK.

The App shows somemore up coming activity later on this month, so you never know.

Are there any other better apps??

I had my camera on a tripod and took a photo of the sky around every 10 mins looking for hints of pink or green, but alas nothing. 

Finally gave up at 1am and headed home. Hopefully got a nice(ish) shot of Orion.

Great thing is it's inspired me to finally dust off my scope and get back out there over the fourth coming week.

Look forward to hearing from you guys.

Ed

• Like 1

Aurorawatch was green all last night so likely not. I've been wanting to see it also, last week once I went outside it went from red alert to amber so I missed it.

Met office has a space weather page which give prior notification of any significant solar activity.

• Thanks 1

If you see Aurora in the news it’s either…

a) already happened and you missed it

b) not going to happen…. Forecasting isn’t always accurate, solar mass ejections have their own ideas

Best to check spaceweather.com for any “heads up, might have an impact in a daybor so” and the use the AuroraWatch app or other to pick up impacts. Twitter/X can provide info on what people are seeing now, if we get another good opportunity.

Peter

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

There were a few reports of Aurora last night from Lincs and Northants. 

But this was not from naked eye observations. This was on camera after long exposures.

I think what people may of mistaken for Aurora on camera, was patches of misty low cloud with light pollution showing up orange/ green. 

The most reliable and accurate way I've found to see if Aurora is occuring, is the the Glendale Aurora app. 

https://aurora-alerts.uk/

Edited by scotty1
  • Thanks 1

Even if you can not see it with your eyes, it is always worth pointing the camera in the right direction and taking a few snaps. As i found out the other week i could not see the aurora, but the camera could 🙂 The visibility only lasted around an hour that night, but i caught the tale end of it for the first time from Bedfordshire.

While not the same as seeing it with the naked eye, it was still pleasing to capture it from this far south.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The forecast G2 storm seems to of Arrived. 

Obviously a lot of the country is now cloudy. 

One thing about Aurorawatch UK is that they lag slightly behind realtime sightings. As they update hourly, by the time they are showing orange or red, the activity can already be over. 

https://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/ 

The Glendale app was already orange alert nearly an hour ahead of Aurorawatch.

Edited by scotty1
  • Thanks 1