Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M33 in a sea of stars

Phillyo

A wide view of M33 taken with my Redcat 51 and Risingcam IMX571. I thought about cropping in tighter, but I actually quite like the wider look to it.

Only 4 hours of data due to the weather so I'm hoping I can add some Ha to it to make the areas pop a little more, weather permitting!

Phil

M33_V2.jpg

• Like 24

I really like widefield shots. This is particularly interesting for me as I was observing the embedded NGC604 in M33. It's very nice to see a widefield shot of the area I was looking at.

I also really like M33 framed in the wider context. Lovely image!

Malcolm 

• Like 2

That is a very fine image Phil , well done.

I was looking at it on Monday evening.  It has a very low surface brightness and looking directly I saw nothing.  Looking away, ie using peripheral vision, I could pick up the lighter shape of the Galaxy against the darker background.  

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

This and other SGL member images of the visually elusive galaxy M33 are invaluable. I've struggled to see it from my light polluted skies but I managed to detect it with averted vision the other clear night and this image shows quite clearly the star patterns that I used to find the correct area. From this image I can now see the extent of this face-on spiral and it's absolutely massive, it's spiral structure goes well beyond the stars that I used to home in on it. Wow!!!

• Like 3