Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lunar occultaion of Venus - nearly. Damn clouds...!!

geoflewis

I was encouraged by Kostas @Kon to have a try at this rare event this morning. What promised to be clear skies 30 minutes before the event turned to cloud. I got the Moon and Venus in my finder scope no problem but couldn't see anything on the sensor, so after thrashing around for ages, I thought I try the IR filter, which revealed that I'd left the CH4 filter in position, so no wonder nothing was showing. I just had time to get them on the chip, but then cloud. I'd also messed up focus hunting for something through the CH4 filter.....:angryfire:.

I sat and waited then a glimpse, so hit capture for 1 minute. I useds PIPP to cut the best 500 frames, ran those through AS3! + Registax and here's what I got...

2023-11-09-0942_3-GDL-L-Moon_pipp_lapl4_ap1_P50_R6(surface).thumb.jpg.e4d0f8c1a23694e32852c26fa879dbfb.jpg

Yeah right...!! I got a lot of doughtnuts and smears, boy does that sensor cover need a bath. Can you see the faint edge of the Moon at the top 1/3rd of the image? Good hunting...!!

I decided greyscale processing might show it better, so after heavy cropping and clone stamping out the donughts, etc. (badly), here's my final version...

2023-11-09-0942_3-GDL-L-Moon_pipp_lapl4_ap1_P50_R6_AFP.thumb.jpg.db758f00d0e524b954c3971eeacc4865.jpg

Moon underexposed, Venus overexposed, everything out of focus, but I guess I can claim to have something....🙄. I wonder whether anyone else had better luck, sadly I know that Kostas didn't....

• Like 2

I am glad you got it after our messages; a good image for the record. At least you got to collect something unlike my frustration 🤣...I can laugh about it now (my wife is still laughing at my expense).

• Thanks 1