Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Uranus with northern polar hood and moons (06/11/23)

Kon

I had an excellent session with Uranus last night and I managed to resolve my best northern polar hood a week before its opposition. 15 min captures and moons added as a second layer. Tiny bit of wavelets in Astrosurface and nothing more. I captured with a 650 and a 742 filter (although the later is softer due to seeing). The polar hood is obvious in both filters and Geof @geoflewis has a similar result from his C14 from our messages, so happy to have a double confirmation.  Captured at 2304 UTC. 8" Dob, manual, asi462mm, IR pass filters and 2.5xTV powermate. False colour added in Gimp. The close ups are 300% enlarged.

image.png.8ef21515eef3e8d2a02198f55c816ea0.png

2023-11-06-2304_4-Uranus-IR-650large.png.62ddf079b2874c554715e0ab465fdce5.png 2023-11-06-2348_1-Uranus_742.png.5ac81ab9004fbdd2b90cd0828bb3df8c.png

• Like 10

Kostas,

As I said in our offline chat, this is a fantastic image; I just love to see Uranus surrouded by it's moons. I was using the IR742 Pro Planet with my ASI462MC, but other than a quick look to share with you earlier confirming the polar hood, I haven't processed them yet as been on my Jupiter data most of the day. I will post those shortly.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Kostas,

As I said in our offline chat, this is a fantastic image; I just love to see Uranus surrouded by it's moons. I was using the IR742 Pro Planet with my ASI462MC, but other than a quick look to share with you earlier confirming the polar hood, I haven't processed them yet as been on my Jupiter data most of the day. I will post those shortly.

Thanks Geof. Having confirmation from others is always helpful and especially from larger aperture. Thanks for sharing your capture offline with me. If you have a 610 or 680, you should be able to pick more signal next time you are out.

20 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Terrific result Kostas! That dual speed focuser must be paying dividends!

Thanks Stuart. The focuser is a game changer especially under these skies. It also helped Jupiter was out and with Io transitioning it was easy to get a nice focus.

• Like 1