Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Diagonal re-silver

The Lapwing

57 minutes ago, Grump Martian said:

Vacuum Coatings Scientific Mirrors in Walthamstow, London. Google them for their address.

Yep, Terry Pearce is the chap you want. He realuminised my 6" newt mirror but he can basically do anything within reason. I don't know where you are based but he runs a mirror making class also, you'd be welcome to come along to that. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Lapwing said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had a diagonal re-silvered and if you have who would undertake such a thing? 

Do you mean the mirror from a mirror diagonal or the diagonal mirror from a newtonian ?

1 hour ago, badhex said:

Yep, Terry Pearce is the chap you want. He realuminised my 6" newt mirror but he can basically do anything within reason. I don't know where you are based but he runs a mirror making class also, you'd be welcome to come along to that. 

Many thanks for the info 

8 minutes ago, The Lapwing said:

Hi John 

I was thinking of my elderly 2 inch Everbright. I only use refractors 

As long as it does not have dielectric coatings, I believe the silvering and over-coating approach is the same as for a primary / secondary mirror.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, John said:

As long as it does not have dielectric coatings, I believe the silvering and over-coating approach is the same as for a primary / secondary mirror.

Which it does, ahh well just a thought 

Edited by The Lapwing

I doubt whether an "Everbright" diagonal will need recoating unless damage in some way.  I believe that dielectric coatings are very difficult to remove and maybe even have to be polished off and requiring refiguring.     🙂 

It’s got a small scratch from a previous owner (came with my TV102) and looks like a poorly fitted bino. As it happens binos don’t work with a 102 so they’re careless was in vain in any case. It makes absolutely zero difference to the views of course. 

1) Dielectric coatings on diagonal mirrors never need replacing, as they do not deteriorate with age, only cleaning.

2) you should remove the mirror for cleaning periodically and clean it just like you would clean a telescope primary mirror.

Use only distilled water, and this method works great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y8xFnXFVGQ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1