Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

7/10 Jupiter & Io (First images in months!)

yelsac

First time since January managed to get out without completely useless seeing!

I think everyone is frustrated with the rubbish seeing we experience, not sure if living on Isle of Wight makes it challenging (sea mist & all) but it does drive you nuts.

Anyway managed to get hold of a second hand OOVX12L in the summer (again probably to big for my skies) & absolutely love observing through it, however its a little different when imaging. Anyway below are the first not great but respectable images I've managed to get. Jupiter with Io transit on the 7/8th of Oct. The first one with shadow was awful, slowly the seeing got a little better, think the middle image is the best before going downhill again. I did try the ADC but it pushed it out so much further the quality dropped even more.

setup- VX12L, QHY5III462C, Rev 2.5 Barlow, UV/IR cut

2314.png.2be2643886204c7a796c16257c8f2e11.png2301.png.37d397a834bf9ee5ebafac0fba479ef3.png2210.png.0563868d7317fb0ae3edba55430b4034.png

Edited by yelsac
  • Like 8

Good first imaging with the new telescope. Yes second image has some more details.Your histogram may have been clipping one or more of the channels as you have a very washed out patch in the EZ. The last image has a nice colour balance but the other two are quite blue. Registax should be able to take care of this.

14 hours ago, Kon said:

Good first imaging with the new telescope. Yes second image has some more details.Your histogram may have been clipping one or more of the channels as you have a very washed out patch in the EZ. The last image has a nice colour balance but the other two are quite blue. Registax should be able to take care of this.

Appreciate the feedback, yes I can see what you mean, think I forgot to balance in registax 🤦 the eyes aren't great these days.

As I said I've been viewing with the new scope rather than imaging & I find I forget the process easily.

Forgive me but when you say clipping do you mean that the histogram was to bright when recording? I think it was around 70%.

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Nice start with the new scope. As Kostas said colour balance is best on the 3rd image. 

Thanks for the comment, got to try & remember it all again. It would be lovely to have a crystal clear night to experiment but that's wishful thinking 😁

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, yelsac said:

Forgive me but when you say clipping do you mean that the histogram was to bright when recording? I think it was around 70%.

Yes and the result is this white washed out area:

image.png.14776d57afdcb66dc006ff5b112b90ad.png

it could either be due to one of the channels being over 100% (I see you do not have an ADC, so your individual RGB channels might cause this) or your contrast you chose in the processing is too much and it is making it washed out.

2 hours ago, yelsac said:

Thanks Kon

Just out of interest what histogram percentage do you record images at with Jupiter?

Had another go with colour balance hopefully looks a little more natural.

Looks much much nicer.

My histogram is usually between 50-70 but I am currently experimenting at 95% after some discussion with Geof. I have no ADC so I make sure that all my channels are in the 50-70 range. You can't have all at the same value without the ADC but none should be over 100%.

• Thanks 1