NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

4mm shootout: Nirvana 4 vs Svbony 3-8 Zoom

Ags

7 hours ago, John said:

I've very often noticed with Jupiter that a lower magnification teases out the subtle planetary detail better than pressing on more power. Last night with my ED120 (and similarly with my Tak 100) 8mm / 7mm (113x / 129x) did a little better than 150x on the planet despite the image scale being smaller.

Me too! I've been using my FS60-CB for planetary recently, and found that if the seeing is good, I don't need more than x80. I see as much as I do with a 90mm Mak, but sharper and clearer. The Mak can definitely go to higher magnifications but won't show more detail. And last night's view of Saturn was as good as any that I can recall seeing with any scope I've ever owned, perhaps better.

Edited by Roy Challen
  • Like 3

Earlier on this thread others mentioned the Nirvana 4 was soft on planets but sharp on the moon (for them and their copy of the eyepiece). I put this theory to the test tonight and found the Nirvana 4 was acceptable on the moon, but still somewhat soft. I preferred the view in an SLV 6.

Edited by Ags

On 12/10/2023 at 12:33, Whistlin Bob said:

Interesting thread. I have the 4mm Nirvana. In my f6 200mm dob, with good seeing, it's ok but a touch soft on planets but spectacular on the moon, sharp right across the fov. Always find this slightly odd, but this has been repeated on several different nights. It's a keeper because of how it performs on the moon. 

I've never had a clear enough night to get up to (or down to? 🤔 up to the mag and down to the fl, I suppose?) 4mm on the planets in my 8" dob. 6mm on a very good night.

However, I would also agree that in the 8" dob, the moon is lovely through the 4mm Nirvana.

I am always reluctant to post my negative reports of Nirvanas. Most people seem to get good ones, or my eyeballs are incompatible with the optical design, or I make unreasonable demands on the eyepieces. It seems the advice to give these a try works well for most people, and this advice has won me over to try twice. But having had two undeniable failures, I will not be trying a third time.

Edited by Ags
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ags said:

I am always reluctant to post my negative reports of Nirvanas. Most people seem to get good ones, or my eyeballs are incompatible with the optical design, or I make unreasonable demands on the eyepieces. It seems the advice to give these a try works well for most people, and this advice has won me over to try twice. But having had two undeniable failures, I will not be trying a third time.

As is often said here and elsewhere, eyepiece preferences are a very personal thing.

• Like 2