Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frustrating tech issue -- 2600MC camera failing

Lee_P

7 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Ordered a new ASIair, ๐Ÿ˜ฎ that is an expensive way to test, when you could have just hooked up to another PC to test, that would have ruled out the ASIair, you must have an endless supply of moneyโ€ฆ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

If it fixes the problem then great. If not then I'll return it ๐Ÿ‘

On 08/10/2023 at 22:02, ollypenrice said:

I'm terminally old school and would always prefer to ditch all hubs, mini PCs etc., and run a large number of direct USBs into a desktop PC with enough USB ports.

Olly

I went even deeper. I kept very short usb cables that connect to a USB->UTP converter. I also placed a small 12V Network Switch on the scope. This way everything is connected via ethernet connections. I don't keep a computer in the observatory or on the scope. One data cable and one power cable needed.

Through ethernet I never have connection issues.

For mobile use it's another story, but for an observatory there no need to place computers on telescopes

• Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 15:11, dan_adi said:

ย 

For mobile use it's another story, but for an observatory there no need to place computers on telescopes

I think there are good reasons not to do so...ย  I say this because I've swapped out so many of the things on the robotics setups I host.

Olly

Ok, so here's an update and all the things I've tried to stop the camera and EAF dropping out.

* New USB cables
* New power cables
* Wiggling all cables
* Different ports on the ASIAIR
* Different ports on my cigarette splitter
* Removing dew heaters from the rig
* An electrician friend used a multimeter to test my Nevada regulated power supply, cigarette splitter, and all cables. Clean bill of health.
* Entirely new ASIAIR and power cables!ย 

Yet the problem persists. Options remaining:

* Dodgy EAF. But would that cause the camera to conk out?ย 
* Dodgy regulated power supply or splitter. Possible but the electrician friend doesn't think so; and surely an issue there would affect more than just the camera and EAF. Still, possible.
* Dodgy camera.

I think dodgy camera because last night I was testing and the camera / EAF dropped out, again. I could reconnect the EAF, but the ASIAIR wouldn't display the camera in its list. Like it didn't exist. I did a full power cycle but still the same. I removed the USB B cable from the camera, and hey presto, it sparked back into life. For a while at least. It disconnected a while later, but again I could get it back by removing and reinserting the camera's USB B cable; this time at the ASIAIR end.

So I think this points to it being an issue with my camera. Which I guess would necessitate being sent to ZWO for repairs.

Thoughts welcome!ย 

12 minutes ago, david_taurus83 said:

Have you tried removing the EAF and plugging directly into the Air and see if either camera or EAF disconnects? The USB hubs on the cameras have been known to be flaky.ย 

Good idea, thanks. I'm testing that now.

1 hour ago, Lee_P said:

Ok, so here's an update and all the things I've tried to stop the camera and EAF dropping out.

* New USB cables
* New power cables
* Wiggling all cables
* Different ports on the ASIAIR
* Different ports on my cigarette splitter
* Removing dew heaters from the rig
* An electrician friend used a multimeter to test my Nevada regulated power supply, cigarette splitter, and all cables. Clean bill of health.
* Entirely new ASIAIR and power cables!ย 

Yet the problem persists. Options remaining:

* Dodgy EAF. But would that cause the camera to conk out?ย 
* Dodgy regulated power supply or splitter. Possible but the electrician friend doesn't think so; and surely an issue there would affect more than just the camera and EAF. Still, possible.
* Dodgy camera.

I think dodgy camera because last night I was testing and the camera / EAF dropped out, again. I could reconnect the EAF, but the ASIAIR wouldn't display the camera in its list. Like it didn't exist. I did a full power cycle but still the same. I removed the USB B cable from the camera, and hey presto, it sparked back into life. For a while at least. It disconnected a while later, but again I could get it back by removing and reinserting the camera's USB B cable; this time at the ASIAIR end.

So I think this points to it being an issue with my camera. Which I guess would necessitate being sent to ZWO for repairs.

Thoughts welcome!ย 

Hi.

Are you using USB 3 cables? In my setup I had a similar problem. When ZWO EAF was in use(autofocusing) my guiding camera(ASI120MM mini) was constantly disconnected - not enough voltage to operate both(?) .ย  After changing ALL cables to USB 3 ones problem dissapeared.

Disappearing camera from the list after disconneting is normal. After disappearing, the camera may receive a new address (COM port) and that's why you need to reinstall the camera`s USB cable to allow ASIAIR to see it.

ย 

Edited by FunkyKoval35
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FunkyKoval35 said:

Hi.

Are you using USB 3 cables? In my setup I had a similar problem. When ZWO EAF was in use(autofocusing) my guiding camera(ASI120MM mini) was constantly disconnected - not enough voltage to operate both(?) .ย  After changing ALL cables to USB 3 ones problem dissapeared.

Disappearing camera from the list after disconneting is normal. After disappearing, the camera may receive a new address (COM port) and that's why you need to reinstall the camera`s USB cable to allow ASIAIR to see it.

ย 

Thanks. I'm switched to Lindy Cromo USB cables from FLO as part of the troubleshooting. Camera is USB3, EAF is USB2. I don't think it's that though; those class of cables worked for years, and the issue isn't timed to when an autofocus routine is in operation. It's a pickle!

Just now, Stuart1971 said:

Also try a USB 2 cable on the camera, as you donโ€™t need USB 3 for any camera for deep sky long exposure work, itโ€™s just overkill, and USB 2 is far more stable then 3โ€ฆ

Yep, already tried different cables, inc, USB 2.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elp said:

I assume you've already tried not using the camera usb hubs, and plug every required usb cable directly into the air only?

That's what I'm doing right now, thank to @david_taurus83. Seems obvious, but I must admit I didn't think of it!

4 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Have you tried removing the EAF and plugging directly into the Air and see if either camera or EAF disconnects? The USB hubs on the cameras have been known to be flaky.ย 

ย 

3 hours ago, Elp said:

I assume you've already tried not using the camera usb hubs, and plug every required usb cable directly into the air only?

Test complete. With the EAF plugged directly into the ASIAIR, eventually the camera failed but the EAF was ok. I think it's all pointing to the camera's main USB B connection.

• Like 1