Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bug infestation!

I haven't used my pier setup for a while and I have decided to put my Esprit back on these in place of the 200P. Took the cover off yesterday and found an infestation of earwigs! All crawling around inside the cover and loads hiding in nooks and crannys around the mount! Some even took up refuge in a couple of USB ports! A lot of insect dirt as well. I brushed them all off and brought my scopes indoors to swap over accessories and by the time I went back out last night to remount the Esprit the buggers had returned! Any ideas on how to keep the critters away? My wife suggested eucalyptus oil and I was thinking of putting a small pot under the pier plate but I'm not sure if this will leave a residue on the scope and mount under the cover. Appreciate any ideas!

I've seen this method used to provide over wintering earwig homes on TV

Piece of corrugated card rolled up and placed into half a plastic bottle, hang bottle inside an apple tree canopy. Maybe if you provided your own alternative home they'd go there.

Maybe consider removing and isolating the mount in a container of some sort for a short while. Solutions online suggest a soapy water solution, peppermint oil scent, rubbing alcohol diluted.

Peppermint oil is also good and works for a number of critters. You can buy the oil and dilute with water for use in a small spray bottle.
Rodents are also supposed to be averse to this too…

🦟🦗🐜🪲🪰🪳🕷️

Wrap sticky yellow insect-trap sheets around the base of your pillar, they won't crawl over that (vaseline stops them as well).

Permethrin based insecticides (sprays, powders) are the safest to use if you want to kill the little critters rather than deter them.