Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31

kirkster501

I never tire of adding more and more to this image, such a rewarding and magnificent object that even 15 years into AP I keep coming back to it and I always see something new.  This is now up to 16 hours - I added a bit more luminance two weeks ago when we - at last - had a few clear hours before the moon came up.  FSQ85 and Atik460.  Astrodon LRGBHa.  There are other faint background galaxies in here too if you look for them.

Steve

M31.thumb.jpg.8c08199390f806f2cf055dd62cac6424.jpg

• Like 10

I really like that, @kirkster501.   I like the way the galaxy core is large and misty.  Quite often the core of M31 looks too small and intense in images. I also like the subtle saturation in the white bits of the galaxy and the additional ‘highlights’ of colour on the disk’s  edge. That’s coming on nicely. Perhaps for my taste the yellow stars are a tad too yellow, but it’s all down to personal taste.

I don’t know whether you find this but if I process an image for too long I can’t assess it anymore. I have to leave it and come back to see it (almost) afresh. 

That's a stunning M31 Steve, like you I love to come back to it, although I have missed it so far this season. Who says CCDs can't cut it any more? 

The background looks a little bit magenta on my monitor, but it could just be my kit?