Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frac vs Newt, probably an old question

bomberbaz

Ok so my question has been asked before of that I have no doubt, the question differences of using a frac or newt for imaging.

I currently use a SW 72ED which I have to say is a lovely bit of kit and gives some pretty good results but I have been looking at other options for reasons I shall keep to myself. 

So considering this 150/F4 newt as another option StellaLyra 6" f/4 M-LRN Newtonian Reflector with 2" Dual-Speed Focuser | First Light Optics

Just wondered if anyone has one and can feedback on performance, does it accept a auto focuser.

also what difference I might expect  in return in performance terms giving consideration to all aspects IE colour correction, integration speed, flat field/coma etc

I can ask FLO direct most of these questions but I always value my fellow astronomers thoughts.

cheers

steve

11 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Just wondered if anyone has one and can feedback on performance

I have one, love it! I image with Canon DSLR's. You will need a coma corrector for this scope, I use the SkyWatcher 0.9, works great. Gives a focal lenght of 540mm, nice for wide-view with my 5D MkII fullframe. Focus is stable and consistent, never considered any motorized focuser. Cheap, but  good. Room for improvements, flocking, focus masks and such.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bomberbaz said:

Hi

Warning: the GSO we tested suffered from questionable mirror spacing, pushing the focal plane into a different postal district from the telescope tube. If you believe you're able to hold and balance an imaging camera at the required distance from the tube, go for it. We couldn't🤥
Take a look at the position of the focal plane and you'll begin to see the problem:
n2.jpg.d1ccbabed43ba5147bb692004b633ba9.jpg

There is however an excellent alternative.with sensible secondary spacing enabling stable camera conection, especially if you can source one with the proper Quattro focuser..

Apart from needing significantly less time to get something similar to the 72, you'll notice that it is completely apochromatic. The only false colour will be (a tiny amount) from the cc.

Cheers

Edited by alacant
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, tomato said:

You might want to consider the SW MN 190. No coma corrector required, you only have to look at @wimvb’s images taken with this scope to see what it is capable of.

weight wise it's heavier than what I am considering but thanks for the pointer

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

weight wise it's heavier than what I am considering but thanks for the pointer

Image quality-wise it can compete with telescopes that are in an entirely different price range. But I agree with you on the weight. I wouldn’t want to lift it every imaging night. If you can have it on a permanent site, I would absolutely recommend it. Otoh, the MN190 probably isn’t heavier than a 150mm APO. 😁

29 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Image quality-wise it can compete with telescopes that are in an entirely different price range. But I agree with you on the weight. I wouldn’t want to lift it every imaging night. If you can have it on a permanent site, I would absolutely recommend it. Otoh, the MN190 probably isn’t heavier than a 150mm APO. 😁

Skywatcher 150 ED APO Triplet: 14.52 kg

Skywatcher MN 190 OTA: 12.5 kg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mandy D said:

Skywatcher 150 ED APO Triplet: 14.52 kg

Skywatcher MN 190 OTA: 12.5 kg

Skywatcher Quattro 150P F4: 5.7kg. Significant difference and when I throw it onto a HEM15, it won't need a CW, hence the consideration

• Like 1

I had a clone (TS Optics) 150mm F4 scope and I was not overly impressed. Once I added a new focuser and aplanatic coma corrector it was OK but then cost nearly £1000. If I was looking at the F4's I think the Quattro is a better bet - although it is still going to require a fair bit of faffing to get it performing consistently. Having said this, a sub £500 imaging scope with coma corrector (giving F3.45) is certainly good value. I think with a little bit of tweaking it could make a good set up. A more costly option is one of the carbon versions from TS - but I do question the quality of the TS focusers. I've had a couple that were not good.

• Thanks 1