Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Saturn, Jupiter and Uranus - 14/15 Sept 2023

geoflewis

4 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Do you think it's worth the hassle derotating 60s videos Geoff? I wouldn't think there was any need at that short interval?

I didn’t derotate the videos, but I did use WinJupos to derotate/stack the resulting TIFFs from each SER.

Edited by geoflewis

22 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Sorry, I thought you said videos. 🤪  I need some new data of my own to play with 😐

No probs Stuart, I did say videos, but I meant the TIFFs produced via AS3! & Registax from each video.

Today I had a play with x3 drizzle on one of the SERs to see had that worked. I’m on my phone now, but will put up the comparison later for anyone interested.

JupitercompareOrigx15Drizx30Driz.thumb.jpg.dc5996aa895f5d0abde7ea3d91c97a93.jpg

There’s a possibility for a clear sky tonight here up to about midnight, so I may take another run a Saturn. Clouds forecast to return after midnight, so probably a bit too early for Jupiter and Uranus though.

Edited by geoflewis
added drizzle comparison image

48 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

No probs Stuart, I did say videos, but I meant the TIFFs produced via AS3! & Registax from each video.

Today I had a play with x3 drizzle on one of the SERs to see had that worked. I’m on my phone now, but will put up the comparison later for anyone interested.

JupitercompareOrigx15Drizx30Driz.thumb.jpg.dc5996aa895f5d0abde7ea3d91c97a93.jpg

There’s a possibility for a clear sky tonight here up to about midnight, so I may take another run a Saturn. Clouds forecast to return after midnight, so probably a bit too early for Jupiter and Uranus though.

Very conistent processing. Hard to tell them apart. Good luck tonight. Lashing down here.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

With no new data to process due to continuous cloudy skies and encouraged by Kostas @Kon in particular, but also Stuart @Space Cowboy I have performed a complete reprocess of my best 15 Sept Jupiter data WITHOUT using Registax, but instead trying out Astrosurface for the 1st time then a play with some of the tools in Image Analyzer.

2023-09-15-0228_7-GDL-WJ-AS-RGB_AS_PS_IA.jpg.6ebd7079f3694e87b6595df0c41eef7b.jpg 2023-09-15-0229_1-GDL-WJ-RGB-LD65_R6(1-2-4-6-8-10)_AFP(NRSat)_PS(50grey).jpg.b6d5bc7dc9ef54f0d657a558addd3094.jpg

I've reposted the original version alongside as the 2nd for easier comparison. I applied less colour saturation / vibrance in the revised version, which I prefer. I'm really pleased how it came out, given that I'm completely new to these new software tool, but please let me know what you think.

Edited by geoflewis
  • Like 4

In my eyes a lot more details and more natural looking. AS is a nice program but as we discussed sometimes Registax has the edge especially on mono data, or at least on my hands I can pull more details. It doesn't mean we should dismiss it but experiment with both (that's more a comment for newcomers reading this thread).

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kon said:

In my eyes a lot more details and more natural looking. AS is a nice program but as we discussed sometimes Registax has the edge especially on mono data, or at least on my hands I can pull more details. It doesn't mean we should dismiss it but experiment with both (that's more a comment for newcomers reading this thread).

Thanks Kostas,

Yes, I’ll continue to experiment with both Registax and Astrosurface. I do think the Astrosurface interface is very nice. I particularly like that that I can zoom right in more easily than with Registax, to monitor the effect of adjustments on the entire image.

Also your help through PMs the past couple of days has been invaluable and very much appreciated.

• Like 1