NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Secrets of the Universe with Tim Peake Ch 5

tomato

Just watched the first of three episodes, quite light weight but entertaining nonetheless. 

Tim seems to have taken Mr. Cox’s penchant for presenting from photogenic locations,  but of course he has one up on him after viewing the earth from an all together different perspective.

Edited by tomato

10 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I found it rather lightweight and lacking ambition. Come back, Prof Cox, all is forgiven! 😆

Maybe so,  but it's always a step in the right direction to get 'Astro" related programs on TV 😉

• Like 2

1 hour ago, callisto said:

Maybe so,  but it's always a step in the right direction to get 'Astro" related programs on TV 😉

Yes agreed, astronomy programmes will never be on mainstream TV if they aren’t made watchable by people who aren’t interested in astronomy.

My Mrs, who has a passing interest in looking through the telescope, Saturn in particular, actually put this programme on.

I was a bit surprised by this, but we both enjoyed it, even if it was quite light-weight.

It was all going well until I said we need to get the same massive obsession dobsonian (or what ever it was) he was using in Australia 😂

Edited by Andy ES
  • Haha 1

On 19/09/2023 at 22:06, tomato said:

Tim seems to have taken Mr. Cox’s penchant for presenting from photogenic locations

... but possibly not with Mr. Cox's budget - the episode on at the moment has him paddling down a canal with Dr. Becky, to illustrate black holes.  Cox would surely have arranged a helicopter trip to the top of a volcano on a tropical island.

On balance, I think I'd take Dr. Becky on the canal.

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

There's a total lack of science on TV these days, so any that might pop up should be encouraged I think.

As for the secrets of the universe, any advanced lifeforms out there with any intelligence will I'm sure be making sure their presence remains unknown !  Do we jump into a croc/ally infested river for a quick dip, or even just make your presence known to them, or wave hello to that group of hungry lions just over there ?  I'm guessing most wouldn't ? .. true knowledge has it's uses from time to time ;)