Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finally finshed my DIY RoR Observatory

AstroKriss

Hi Folks, after a few months of DIY when time and weather allowed, I have finally finished my roll-off-roof observatory, you can see my process in the write up here on my website: https://astrokriss.com/observatory-build/ 

I welcome feedback and comments, and advice on what scope I should get to add next. 

Im after something with a bit more focal length to capture the planets and get a bit closer on some galaxies. 

IMG_5950.jpg

• Like 23

Well, it is really impressive if, as you said, "I had no real idea what I was doing", LOL. Really like it.

I plan building a small shed as yours, different material and constructive approach but same dimensions. Can you please share some details about dimensions? You said it is a 2x2m frame for the base. What's the wall and pier height? How many horizon degrees you lose? It seems you can close the roof without parking that scope. Do you feel the remaining space too constrained? Would you go bigger now you finally build it?

Too many questions, I know, but I really appreciate you answers if possible. Anyway, thanks for sharing that pics!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aleixandrus said:

Well, it is really impressive if, as you said, "I had no real idea what I was doing", LOL. Really like it.

I plan building a small shed as yours, different material and constructive approach but same dimensions. Can you please share some details about dimensions? You said it is a 2x2m frame for the base. What's the wall and pier height? How many horizon degrees you lose? It seems you can close the roof without parking that scope. Do you feel the remaining space too constrained? Would you go bigger now you finally build it?

Too many questions, I know, but I really appreciate you answers if possible. Anyway, thanks for sharing that pics!

Hi, thanks so far I’m really happy with it. So as I installed the pier before deciding to build it, the pier is lower than I’d like. The walls are about 1.6m high before the roof, so currently I am loosing quite a bit of horizon, but as I’m in residential area I lose most of that already due to other houses and surrounding trees. 

I don’t know pier height to be honest, but I am looking for ways to raise the height of mount by about 20cm but can’t find any specific pier extension for EQ8, so might have to be something custom at a later date. 

at the moment yeah the roof has about 8cm clearance from the scope so can open and close with telescope in home position. 

Considering a larger scope in future that will need a special park position. As I use ASIAir at moment I hope they add that feature before I need it. 

in terms of size it perfectly compact for the one pier and scope with a bit of room for growth, and I was limited to size I could build in my garden. of course if I had room I’d definately like it bigger with room for 2 piers :) 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Starflyer said:

Great build, I enjoyed reading about your journey on your site.

Do you find that the IR illumination from the webcams shows in your images, do you get any odd gradients?

I tend to turn them off when capturing where I can, and I’ve not noticed any specific issues so far. I’ll keep an eye on it though for sure. 

• Thanks 1

Looks brilliant Kriss,

You certainly did a great job there, I must pop over one day and have a look 🙂

Another SG member had a pier extension custom built, you might want to reach out to him and see if he can hook you up with his guy.  

• Like 1

Thank you for the kind response @AstroKriss. I also plan a 2x2 observatory but I'm 1.90m tall and I would like to be able to stand with the roof closed... It's good to know you don't feel it too narrow. I will need a taller pier but, as I plan to make it of concrete, I suppose I can make it the right size if I take careful measurements. I also live in a residential area but I'm not so constrained to size (although I need to keep it at a minimum). I'm also considering 2x3m, leaving a bit of space for a second pier for an small refractor or even a portable/moveable pier... Do you feel it possible with that dimensions, based on your experience?

Oh, by the way. @Starflyer, I also use a IR cam to control my scope when in the backyard and, despite I tend to turn IR off except when actively monitoring, I didn't notice any issue with my 6.5nm SHO filters.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/09/2023 at 09:29, aleixandrus said:

Thank you for the kind response @AstroKriss. I also plan a 2x2 observatory but I'm 1.90m tall and I would like to be able to stand with the roof closed... It's good to know you don't feel it too narrow. I will need a taller pier but, as I plan to make it of concrete, I suppose I can make it the right size if I take careful measurements. I also live in a residential area but I'm not so constrained to size (although I need to keep it at a minimum). I'm also considering 2x3m, leaving a bit of space for a second pier for an small refractor or even a portable/moveable pier... Do you feel it possible with that dimensions, based on your experience?

Oh, by the way. @Starflyer, I also use a IR cam to control my scope when in the backyard and, despite I tend to turn IR off except when actively monitoring, I didn't notice any issue with my 6.5nm SHO filters.

Hi @aleixandrus Im not sure 2x3m would be enough for a second Pier, I think you'd likely want a bit more space, you might get a small portable ring in there but would likely have limited space to use it, but again I'm no expert. I think If I had lots of room, I'd have made it 3m x 4m, which I think would be plenty of room for 2 piers and some storage.

3x4 would be marvelous! You're probably right, maybe 2x3 would be just I-want-to-but-I-can't, specially as I don't even has a second rig so I don't know what my requirements will be. Thank you for your insight, really appreciate it. Please, keep this thread updates with future improvements on your obsy or simply your experience using it. That 'post-mortem' feedback is as important as the build itself!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, aleixandrus said:

3x4 would be marvelous! You're probably right, maybe 2x3 would be just I-want-to-but-I-can't, specially as I don't even has a second rig so I don't know what my requirements will be. Thank you for your insight, really appreciate it. Please, keep this thread updates with future improvements on your obsy or simply your experience using it. That 'post-mortem' feedback is as important as the build itself!

Sure I’ll do an update in a few months with progress using it :) 

and likewise do share yours as you build it. 

• Thanks 1