NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Focuser for 150PDS

Hi All

I've been using my Skywatcher 150PDS with a small 3/4 camera and I've just upgraded to a very nice Altair Astro 26C.
However, the focuser that came with the 150PDS is not really holding its own with the camera.
I definitely want to have a  dual speed focuser and I was wondering if I could get some feedback from members to which focuser will work with the OTA and which are the best to go for?

Many thanks

Zifnab

Edited by zifnab

Yes, it already has a Crayford dual focus on it, but it’s not a very good one and it has no lock functionality to hold in place the camera once focused. It also cannot adjust at any angle including facing straight up or straight down as it slips or stalls.

Edited by zifnab

11 hours ago, Mandy D said:

@zifnab Are you disatisfied with the focuser in general, or is it just the lack of dual speed? If the latter, have a look at this upgrade. It is cheaper than a new focuser:

https://www.365astronomy.com/lacerta-dual-speed-1-10-microfocus-upgrade-kit-for-skywatcher-crayford-focusers?path=119_416

Thanks for that, however, I already have a dual focuser on it that came with it, as it’s a PDS. One major issue is the lack of a focus lock

can you recommend a decent replacement focuser, or how I can add a focus lock to the original focuser.

Edited by zifnab

38 minutes ago, zifnab said:

Thanks for that, however, I already have a dual focuser on it that came with it, as it’s a PDS. One major issue is the lack of a focus lock

can you recommend a decent replacement focuser, or how I can add a focus lock to the original focuser.

Sorry, I mis-read what you were originally asking and failed to note that the mentioned telescope already has a dual speed focuser. I have problems with focuser slip on my 200P if I fail to lock it, but it does at least have a locking screw. I'm considering a Baader Diamond Steeltrack as an upgrade.

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/baader-diamond-2-steeltrack-nt-focuser.html

I would have thought that all you would need to do to modify your existing focuser would be to take it apart and drill and tap for a locking screw on the body, then use a nylon tipped screw to avoid damaging the travelling part.

17 hours ago, zifnab said:

Yes, it already has a Crayford dual focus on it, but it’s not a very good one and it has no lock functionality to hold in place the camera once focused. It also cannot adjust at any angle including facing straight up or straight down as it slips or stalls.

On the bottom of the focuser their should be a focus lock thumbscrew I have the std dual speed crayford and mine has the thumbscrew 

Have a look on aliexpress ,the chinese are very helpful in wanting your  business ,have a look at www.aliexpress.com/store/1102767589?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_2005177255986.14 i found this seller super helpful when i bought a cnc spider for my 200pds (i paid £57 and it is top quality and fitted like a glove ) now i know someone with a 190 mak newtonian and he up graded his focuser but kept the stock focuser tube the seller made the focuser to fit his base  this is who he used via ebay but youll probably find on aliexpress too www.aliexpress.com/store/1102767589?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_2005177255986.14  send them a message and ask if they do a focus body for your scope ,ps the chap with the mak was very happy and well made  see this thread https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/22462-new-focuser-on-the-mn190-woop/#comment-188962

On 30/08/2023 at 17:29, fozzybear said:

On the bottom of the focuser their should be a focus lock thumbscrew I have the std dual speed crayford and mine has the thumbscrew 

Hi bottletopburly 
For whatever reason, it seems that mine does not have a focus lock, have a look at it.

IMG_3425.jpeg

On 30/08/2023 at 17:56, bottletopburly said:

Have a look on aliexpress ,the chinese are very helpful in wanting your  business ,have a look at www.aliexpress.com/store/1102767589?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_2005177255986.14 i found this seller super helpful when i bought a cnc spider for my 200pds (i paid £57 and it is top quality and fitted like a glove ) now i know someone with a 190 mak newtonian and he up graded his focuser but kept the stock focuser tube the seller made the focuser to fit his base  this is who he used via ebay but youll probably find on aliexpress too www.aliexpress.com/store/1102767589?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.pcShopHead_2005177255986.14  send them a message and ask if they do a focus body for your scope ,ps the chap with the mak was very happy and well made  see this thread https://www.eastmidlandsstargazers.org.uk/topic/22462-new-focuser-on-the-mn190-woop/#comment-188962

Thanks, I will have a look at the links

12 minutes ago, zifnab said:

Hi bottletopburly 
For whatever reason, it seems that mine does not have a focus lock, have a look at it.

IMG_3425.jpeg

from your picture looks like the thumbscrew has been sheard off the shiny piece is the remnants of the threaded screw you could try dis-assembly of the back plate the four outer hex screws but beware underneath the plate lie 4 orings then remove the damaged piece

• Like 1

Yup. I agree. There are plenty of focusers out there. Baader do a very nice one for Newtonian scopes but not sure if it will fit the 150? How much weight are you putting on it? If it’s just a corrector and camera, the skywatcher one should do the trick without spending more than the scope is worth.  For a bit more than the Baader focuser you could upgrade the scope to an 8” depending on the mount you have. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, fozzybear said:

the OP needs to source a new thumbscrew and try for the sake of a couple off quid as opposed to changing the focuser for now 

Hi Fozzybear

it turns out getting a new focuser for a 150 is harder than for a 200 or bigger. The issue that caused the locking bolt to be sheared off also caused more internal damage to the Crayford mechanism. I have had to buy a replacement SkyWatcher focuser. So will be up and running in a day or two.

thank you everyone for your help on this thread