Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your wide-field scope

Mr Spock

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I would go 100mm. Lighter scope which is easier to handle and you will get a wider field with it.

Thanks, think this is what I was leaning towards!

Other question is, I have no 2" eyepeices but think now might be the time to get one. They seem expensive so only want to pick the one up for now, is there a good sub £100 place to start with these?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lawsio said:

Other question is, I have no 2" eyepeices but think now might be the time to get one. They seem expensive so only want to pick the one up for now, is there a good sub £100 place to start with these?

I’ll leave others to comment on this. Problem is the scope is f5 so will be more demanding on eyepieces. At the cheaper end you might find the edge performance is a bit dodgy in terms of elongated or seagull shaped stars. As said, I’m sure others will be able to give some experience based advice as I’ve not used this scope or the cheaper 2” eyepieces.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lawsio said:

In honesty, I'm not sure sub £100 2" EPs will be a satisfying experience with an F5 scope, but same as @Stu said, I don't own this scope so someone else my have real-world experience to offer. 

For my part, I can give an example of an F5.9 APO doublet combined with the 30mm GSO Superview (also available from FLO under their own branding, I believe), which is an example of a sub-£100 2" offering, but sadly it's not great. The best you can do for that FL would be the StellaLyra 30mm UFF at £179 and its counterparts under other brandings. For longer focal lengths, the 40mm Aero ED (originally TMB Titan II, then Aero ED amongst other brandings and now only available as the Lacerta 40mm ED, AFAIK) is a great EP and should still perform well in your F5. 

• Like 1