Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pegasus power box micro power aupply

Hello

I ordered a Pegasus power box micro, there is no power supply in the box? I'd thought it was supplied with a cigarette style one? 

I noticed online their dedicated mains power supply is £60??? Why so expensive? 

Must be something cheaper available to do the job? 

How do you power yours? 

Thanks

Edited by Astroblagger

The Pegasus PSU is 12v 10amp, where as most of the other PSU's are 12v 5amp. Depending on what you're going to be powering with it, then one of the cheaper 5 amp versions may be enough.

You can get cheaper 12v 10amp PSU's on the likes of Amazon, which is what I had to start off with my Pegusus Powerbox Advance. It had a bad connection between the mains cable & the PSU, and you could hear it spark when you pushed it together. I was lucky enough to get a genuine Pegasus unit second hand and never had an issue with it.

The other option is a Navada power supply and use a 12v cable with a car power connection on the end to supply the Powerbox.

22 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

The Pegasus PSU is 12v 10amp, where as most of the other PSU's are 12v 5amp. Depending on what you're going to be powering with it, then one of the cheaper 5 amp versions may be enough.

You can get cheaper 12v 10amp PSU's on the likes of Amazon, which is what I had to start off with my Pegusus Powerbox Advance. It had a bad connection between the mains cable & the PSU, and you could hear it spark when you pushed it together. I was lucky enough to get a genuine Pegasus unit second hand and never had an issue with it.

The other option is a Navada power supply and use a 12v cable with a car power connection on the end to supply the Powerbox.

The standard Pegasus PSU, from experience with the mount, is for a 12v 5A. I bought a generic 12v 10A one from Amazon and made up adapter cables to suit. 

Just now, Astroblagger said:

Not many around with the 2.1mm jack and USB C around? 

No - I found them tricky to find. I ended up getting the power cable with a female end and a usb c female to male adaptor. A lot of the cables are 'intelligent' and won't work.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skybadger said:

The standard Pegasus PSU, from experience with the mount, is for a 12v 5A. I bought a generic 12v 10A one from Amazon and made up adapter cables to suit. 

Pegasus list them as "Power Supply Unit 12V / 10A – 120W" on their website and it says 10 amp on the Pegasus PSU I have. The Pegasus mount on its own may be fine with a 5 amp supply, but running the mount, camera cooler, fiterwheel and a couple of dew heaters may need a few more amps on tap. ;)

Edited by Budgie1

58 minutes ago, Astroblagger said:

Some state 20 Volts but is that the max rating or what goes in comes out but no greater than 20 Volts? 

The usb x power connections run from 20 v to 5 v for charging and operating purposes.  So you should be looking for the ones for charging purposes. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Connector-Adapter-Degree-Charge-Laptop/dp/B0CFK2SCZL/ref=mp_s_a_1_33?crid=1V6EF7HTTE6TX&keywords=5.5mm+2.1mm+female+dc+to+usb+c+adapter&qid=1693258940&sprefix=dc+2.1mm+to+usb+c+adapter%2Caps%2C87&sr=8-33 but it was cheaper when I got 2...

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Budgie1 said:

Pegasus list them as "Power Supply Unit 12V / 10A – 120W" on their website and it says 10 amp on the Pegasus PSU I have. The Pegasus mount on its own may be fine with a 5 amp supply, but running the mount, camera cooler, fiterwheel and a couple of dew heaters may need a few more amps on tap. ;)

Oh yes it will. But probably only by a little, the running current is 2.5 A or so. Which leaves 2.5A for extras like camera, FW, focuser, heaters. Not much when a camera cooler will take 2 A and a slew takes the motors from 4A.

Thanks I will order one of these adapters then👍 I had a cigarette style 240-12v 5 amp output. Turned everything on . The powerbox actually turned off whilst I was sleeping at max speed.  Must have dropped below 10v or something. Will prob buy the Pegasus mains supply swell defo need more juice.