NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Lens and mirror cleaning materials?

GTom

I am in the process of cleaning my recently acquired LX200 SCT. As mold just started to set foot, I had to act quickly, had a rough cleaning with isopropanol de-ionised water 1:1 mix followed by pure isopropanol. This worked so far with camera sensors and less-dirty mirrors. This one seems to be dirtier than usual, quite a bit of sludge remained.

As already wasted about 1/2L of precious isopropanol, I wonder what could be a more economical cleaning solution? Also, any recommendations for the water part, where to get larger quantities of pure distilled water? Can I add some detergents to get rid of less soluble-more stubborn contaminants that prefer just changing pattern instead of leaving the corrector plate😄?

Edited by GTom

I find that large motor-factors stock de-ionised water. I buy mine in 25 litre containers. You could also try forklift truck service businesses and battery suppliers for forklifts. I'm not cerrtain on this, but I thought I'd add it: dry-cleaners seem to use it, too.

Edited by Mandy D
  • Like 1

I was wondering if distilled water could be cleaner-better than de-ionised. Automotive suppliers nearby only stock de-ionised as it is perfectly fine for all kind of motoring use. Distilled from amazon/ebay is a bit more expensive (won't break the bank though at £2/L) but might be better...

Never added detergents before, guessing a fragrance, etc. free type is needed for telescope cleaning.

I just clean my mirrors with tap water with a few added drops of washing up liquid. It's the final rinse that needs to be distilled water to ensure there is no residue left when dried. I bought 5 litres, have cleaned two scopes and still have half leftover. This is only for mirrors and corrector/meniscus plates and not lenses per se.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 4

On 20/08/2023 at 01:17, bosun21 said:

I just clean my mirrors with tap water with a few added drops of washing up liquid. It's the final rinse that needs to be distilled water to ensure there is no residue left when dried. I bought 5 litres, have cleaned two scopes and still have half leftover. This is only for mirrors and corrector/meniscus plates and not lenses per se.

That's what I do as well. No point on wasting expensive stuff if you're just trying to get the dirt off the surface to begin with...

Edited by kbrown
  • Like 1