Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Alignment guidescope

Hi everybody 

I recently bought my first deepsky photography setup. It exist out of an heq5 pro I already had, the Zenithstar 61, ZWO ASI533 mc-pro, uniguide 32 and the ASI 224 mc as guide camera.

last night I finally had a break in the clouds to test it out, unfortunately when I started my alignment the screen of my 533 was completely black, no stars or anything, while the star was in the center of my guidecamera’s screen. 
I think I might need to aline my guidescope with my Zenithstar, just like the laser pointer on my newtonian. I’m not sure if and how I can do that. Anybody knows a solution?

There should be a sticky for N00bs which says:

'If posting for help with diagnosing problems, clearly state all the equipment you are using, as we are not mind readers' 

The 533 doesn't have a screen. neither does the guidesope. What star? What PC or ASi Air are you using? What were your gain and exposure settings? Were you polar aligned? Were you focused? etc etc. The guidescope doesn't need to be exactly aligned with the main scope, just in the same area, a degree off doesn't matter, several degrees however might result in guiding errors

Hello Astro_buddy and welcome to the site. 

Just to make sure it's working ok, have you ever had any form of image from the 533?

Oh and 900SL, I understand your thoughts but a bit harsh.

You haven't mentioned it, but I suspect you haven't set your backspacing correct so you won't see anything, even if you try to rack full scope focus in or out. How is the camera connected to the back of the scope? Are you using a field flattener or reducer?

Thanks for the response guys, I haven’t got any form of image from the 533, maybe the backfocus is incorrect. I currently use the flat 61a where on the site the backfocus states 12,9 for use with the Zenithstar 61 which I set it too. I connect it with a 11 mm ring to a m42m-m48f adapter to the flattener to the scope. Maybe a ring to short? I will test it on a distant object today to change and correct

900SL with the screen I mean my laptop. The cameras indeed don’t have a screen. My first time here so still learning the basics of stating it.

See the following drawing:

Screenshot_20230810-1046222.thumb.png.480f476f43a94584c2eb0117befa98ce.png

Your backspacing is way too short, from the drawing to the bottom of the thread of the 61A you need 67.7mm of spacing to your camera sensor. You already have the 11mm female to female ring and the camera front of body to sensor distance is 6.5mm I believe so 17.5mm, you need an additional 50.2mm of spacer rings (or the thickness of any adaptors or filter drawers in your imaging train) adding before it'll project correctly onto the camera sensor plane.

These are essential when doing AP:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-t2-m42-extension-tube-set-4mm-5mm-6mm-7mm-8mm-9mm.html

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/astro-essentials-t2-m42-extension-tube-set-5mm-10mm-15mm-20mm.html

If you're using a filter you need to add in 1/3 of the filter glass thickness onto the 67.7mm, typically using +1 or +0.33-0.66mm works well as a rough guide.

If you want to perfect your star shapes more, invest in a good pair of Vernier calipers as you can measure more accurately with them, though a ruler will get you near. And a set of below 1mm spacer rings, I think a new purchase zwo cooled camera comes with a set of delrin type ones, you can buy them separately.

Edited by Elp

So if I understand correctly, I need to get the backfocus of the flattner to 12,9 mm as shown in this picture below. And then add some rings to achieve a total of 67,7mm. Do i take the lenght of the flattner in account as well (in the 67,7mm)? Or just the backfocus lenght?

IMG_5221.jpeg.a89eef46cf570b74f6ef362d207f0a3f.jpeg

Someone else will have to confirm as I don't use adjustable flatteners, I'd assume you take the 12.9mm off the 67.7mm length. From the mechanical drawing I'd say not and the 67.7mm remains. They should really specify properly on their drawings to save any confusion.

Edited by Elp

The backfocus from 61A flattener to camera sensor is 55mm, when the adjustable flattener is set to 12.9mm. 

This is common on WO adjustable field flatteners, the backfocus is 55mm PLUS the stated adjustment specific to each scope, plus additional spacing if using filters

Which may well require field adjustment to dial in exactly

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/826712-how-to-use-the-61a-flattener-with-the-william-optics-z61/

Edited by 900SL

5 hours ago, M40 said:

Hello Astro_buddy and welcome to the site. 

Just to make sure it's working ok, have you ever had any form of image from the 533?

Oh and 900SL, I understand your thoughts but a bit harsh.

Maybe, but fair ;)

I've almost given up on looking at noobs posts looking for help, because they frequently don't include any useful information on equipment, set up etc. 

There should be a sticky for same in these getting started threads, spelling out some basic requirements to include in any posts seeking assistance

Maybe there should be some kind of directions for posting for the first time. But now I know how for the next time, thanks everyone

24 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Maybe, but fair ;)

I've almost given up on looking at noobs posts looking for help, because they frequently don't include any useful information on equipment, set up etc. 

There should be a sticky for same in these getting started threads, spelling out some basic requirements to include in any posts seeking assistance

• Like 1

As a general rule, the quality of advice offered is going to be determined by the quality of information provided.
I spend a lot of time telling my customers that 'Does not work' is not a fault description😁

In looking at this problem. Why do so many wait to try basic alignment and focus with clear sky and in darkness?
For checking an imaging setup, there is nothing wrong with looking at a distant horizon, tree, power pylon, etc. in daylight and simply reducing exposure time.
Works for me every time.
Also on a new setup, it helps me find things that are unplugged, tight cables when the mount moves and a tablet/laptop that won't behave.

HTH, David.