Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Historic clear night data for UK regions

StuartT

I have been trying to get hold of data on how many clear nights different parts of the UK have had over the recent past (as I am moving house next year). So far, I have not managed to find any, despite contacting the Met Office. best I can get is sunshine hours, which I guess is a somewhat reasonable proxy for clear nights, but not ideal since most sunshine is in the summer (when astronomy is hardest).

If anyone has any info/suggestions as to where I might be able to get my hands on historic clear night data for various parts of the UK I'd be very grateful.

Thanks

Meteoblue has some history.

You can get day averages for free....here is an example... the yellow means clear... 

https://www.meteoblue.com/en/weather/historyclimate/weatherarchive/london_united-kingdom_2643743?fcstlength=1m&year=2022&month=12

But more than a year or so ago and/or hour by hour (to focus on nights) is subscription only.

Edited by globular
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, StuartT said:

I have been trying to get hold of data on how many clear nights different parts of the UK have had over the recent past

Did you check with FLO if they keep stats of Cloud cover as part of ClearOutside?

We are next to the gulf stream on the west, so I suspect the east coast maybe less cloud prone?? Thats just my guess, but as an island we are quite small so may not have much of a difference. Also the weather has been so unpredictable across the world due to global warming etc, that the next decade is probably going to be fluid. I know thats not good news for us astronomers as a whole 😞

EDIT: Here is a link that shows cloud cover over the years worldwide. https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/global-maps/MODAL2_M_CLD_FR

So we need to be a lot further south if we need those cloudless skies

Edited by AstroMuni
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. Wasn't aware of the Meteoblue data, but that looks to be only daily averages of cloud cover so I need to see if it can be restricted only to the hours of darkness. If so, that would be fab and I don't mind paying.

12 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Did you check with FLO if they keep stats of Cloud cover as part of ClearOutside?

We are next to the gulf stream on the west, so I suspect the east coast maybe less cloud prone?? Thats just my guess, but as an island we are quite small so may not have much of a difference. Also the weather has been so unpredictable across the world due to global warming etc, that the next decade is probably going to be fluid. I know thats not good news for us astronomers as a whole 😞

I am aware of ClearOutside, but it is hopelessly inaccurate for prediction (as are all forecasts) and I no longer bother with it. But I wasn't aware they also recorded what actually happened. This is worth knowing