Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Another M16 (from 52.5° N)

almcl

Seeing some of the great images of M16 that have been posted recently, I thought I would add mine.

It's not an easy target at 52 1/2 °N, barely getting to 20° above the horizon and with a lack of Astro dark during the time it is visible, only a fool would try, right?

So here's the 53 minutes worth that I have managed to capture this year and last with the SW190 MN and ASI 2600 MC from a windswept, dark sky site on open moorland.  

The question I am building up to, is: Should I go after more data for this target if the opportunity arises, or switch to one of the other targets such as M17 in the same area?

M16halfandhalf.thumb.jpg.9ddc7a8feadbc1869cb20d134671f5b3.jpg

• Like 7

It's a decent result. I also did this last in a similar scenario to you but only got 30mins, around mid June. Haven't been out since due to the weather, and prob can't do it as it's now obstructed.

If you've got the opportunity add to it.

You should also be able to do the trifid and lagoon, maybe these are too low now.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Elp said:

If you've got the opportunity add to it.

You should also be able to do the trifid and lagoon, maybe these are too low now.

Thanks for the kind word, Elp.

I think we may still be in with a chance, below is what Stellarium gives for the dark site at the start of Astro Dark on the next (possibly) clear night.  There are so many interesting targets there that would be fun to get, BUT I don't want to fall into the trap of only getting a few subs of each and then regretting the quality later, a trap I fell into before!

2 minutes ago, peter shah said:

A great result especially from Telford ..I know it well....

Thank you, Peter.  I was a bit further west than Telford, sure you can guess where.  

Enjoy your contributions to the Shropshire Star BTW, not to mention the stunning images you post here.

Darksite.thumb.jpg.dd8fdede596b3e662a8477c1ec9f6cc7.jpg

• Like 1