Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RVO Horizon 72ED compatible EAF

I have had a look at the Rother Valley Optics site and the ZWO EAF and can't find any mention of compatibility with this scope.

I have lodged a question with RVO but had no response yet (not complaining- they always get back to people after a few days). I am just putting the question out there in case someone has experience of the scope and an EAF.

Thanks.

4 hours ago, Swoop1 said:

I have had a look at the Rother Valley Optics site and the ZWO EAF and can't find any mention of compatibility with this scope.

I have lodged a question with RVO but had no response yet (not complaining- they always get back to people after a few days). I am just putting the question out there in case someone has experience of the scope and an EAF.

Thanks.

I would be shocked if it was not compatable.

Am sure they will get back to you.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

I drove from Swansea to RVO to pick up an RVO 80 and asked the question "How do I mount my eaf"

I was shown where so I happily drove home.

Its NOT compatible.

I'll be calling todau 9.30 as soon as they open to explain whay its not compatible and driving up next sat for an exchane to a WO.

The fitting is wrong and the focus knobs get in the way. I can work around this and seal the bearings with a washer but the main problem is the focuser shaft where you connecet the eaf to is round with no flat spot for the grub screws to grip on to,

Shocking oversight and the only way around it is to grind a small flat spot on the stainless steel spindle

On a new scope that puts all the risk on the buyer and invalidates the warrenty.

• Thanks 1

I don't think all focusers spindles have a flat spot, even some on the limited compatability list.  Your focuser knob is currently held in place just by the grub screw tightened on the existing round spindle so the EAF would act the same.

A picture of the fitting where, the focus knobs get in the way, would allow us to see if there is a way you can fit the EAF to your satisfaction.

If I can find it there was a long list of fitting the EAF by end users on one of the ZWO support pages. ZWO obviously have not fitted an EAF to every scope/focuser design but end users may have done it.

I fiited one on a new Evolux which was not on any list and had not found one dne before, but others on this forum had and we did not all do it the same way.

Let us know how you get on with RVO in any case.

HTH

Steve

• Thanks 1

UPDATE :

Yes it is compatible with the RVO 80ED

I was putting it on the wrong side of the focuser  DOH!!

Apolgies to RVO.

My mistike and they were patient and understanding when helping me sort out my mess  :)

Edited by PWS
Typos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 months later...