Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M16 Eagle Nebula

WolfieGlos

Catching up on a backlog of data, I attempted the Eagle Nebula at a similar time last month to M8/M20 https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/411320-m8-and-m20-mosaic/. There have been some great images of M16 posted here lately, but I don't think mines as good 🤷‍♂️

I started with M16 prior to starting M8/M20 since it was in the sky earlier and was unobstructed by buildings, so I had some good data to start with, but as the days went by the data each night become more and more light polluted. I probably should have concentrated on just this target, and put the time I had on M8/M20 into this one instead. I've been hoping to add more data, but it is now out of reach and behind lights and trees, so nothing more to add this year. Still, live and learn, and perhaps next year I can get more data to add to it.

LP and noise reduction has lost a lot of the fainter nebulosity, particularly on the left-side of the image which is annoying. Without NR it was just a mess. I tried removing some of the 117 frames I captured, and being brutal, I culled 65 of those for a stack this morning, but it produced a worse image - obviously with less detail. So I've decided that's it for now. Not my best of images, but happy(ish) with the result.

I also used the data for an OSC attempt at a "Hubble-like" image, first time trying it so that was, ahem, a learning experience! Having never imaged this target before, I was surprised just how bright the core and the pillars are, processing for the outer areas I found to be a real challenge, similar to M42 in some ways.

Comments welcome.

Equipment - Canon EOS 800D (modded) + Optolong L'enhance + Starfield 102ED + 0.8 Reducer
Mount - Sky Watcher HEQ5 with Belt Mod, captures with NINA

Total of 117 x 180s frames (05:51:00) at ISO-800, with 50 bias, 50 flats, 5 darks. Stacked in Siril, Processed in Siril, Starnet, GIMP and AstrodeNoisePY.

113b-11-07-23-M16TheEagleNebula.thumb.JPG.3d9ab2571893fc103b70f34fc900cb70.JPG

113bhp-11-07-23-M16TheEagleNebula.thumb.jpg.fd4d4f38e473db3a8d9fb7faf88f3a49.jpg

• Like 14

Stunning images indeed, well done. 

I particularly like the 'normal' image as you don't often see it processed this way. Both images are amazing though. I'd love to have a go but sadly to low where I image from and can't hike my gear to where I could.

Lee 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Stunning images indeed, well done. 

I particularly like the 'normal' image as you don't often see it processed this way. Both images are amazing though. I'd love to have a go but sadly to low where I image from and can't hike my gear to where I could.

Lee 

Thanks Lee! I agree on the "normal" image, I think a lot of us probably get hung up on the Hubble palette due to the Pillars area. Which don't get me wrong, is great to see and I like the blue/yellow colour mix from the OSC data, but it doesn't compare to mono with the SII data.

That's a shame it's not visible for you, hopefully one day if you can get the right spot.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Thanks Lee! I agree on the "normal" image, I think a lot of us probably get hung up on the Hubble palette due to the Pillars area. Which don't get me wrong, is great to see and I like the blue/yellow colour mix from the OSC data, but it doesn't compare to mono with the SII data.

That's a shame it's not visible for you, hopefully one day if you can get the right spot.

Thank you 😊, I couldn't do the hubble pallete as A I don't know how 😂 and B I don't have narrowband filters.

Hopefully one day I'll create something as great as your fab image. 

Lee 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, peter shah said:

both lovely images

Thanks Peter 🙂

37 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you 😊, I couldn't do the hubble pallete as A I don't know how 😂 and B I don't have narrowband filters.

Hopefully one day I'll create something as great as your fab image. 

Lee 

Haha, I didn't know how either! I only have the l'enhance filter and then literally read the guide on Siril's help for splitting channels, and used this page on astrobin following a web search! (links are different posts in the same thread):

https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrophotography/deep-sky-processing-techniques/sho-hubble-palette-from-osc-dual-band-data/?page=1#post-30485
https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrophotography/deep-sky-processing-techniques/sho-hubble-palette-from-osc-dual-band-data/?page=1#post-30504
https://www.astrobin.com/forum/c/astrophotography/deep-sky-processing-techniques/sho-hubble-palette-from-osc-dual-band-data/?page=1#post-40703

I ran initial crop, stretches, etc then Starnet to remove the stars. Then:

Split Channels into R G B
Pixelmath max(G,B). Result saved as OIII.
OPEN R
Linear Match to OIII. Save as HA.
Pixelmath R=Ha, G=(Ha+OIII)/2, B=OIII
Split Channels into R G SII.
RGB Compositing, R=Ha, G=SII, B=OIII. Use Ha as luminance, using HSV option. (note SII just used as a  filename, it's not actually SII data).

Then more stretches, and then colour balancing in GIMP, before adding the stars back in and NR. It was quite a long workflow, and it took me a half a dozen attempts as I often wouldn't get any blue or very little of it (still not sure why) - it was all yellow! Good luck if you ever get a filter and give it a go 🙂 

• Thanks 1