NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SGL 2023 Challenge 4 - Galaxies

As expected, this was a popular challenge with some stunning entries.  The judges votes were very widely spread with a total of 9 nominations.  There was a clear winner but I had to exercise a casting vote for 2nd and 3rd.  So, many apologies to those of you who have not got in the frame, it was close and, of course, the judging can never be entirely objective.

1) Powerlord - Canes Venatici 

CanesVenaticiM106final.thumb.jpg.9aa5641b6d00ec5db0b6a8979159d761.jpg

M106 is the headline act but there is an array of galaxies in this wonderful image

2) Tomatobro - NGC 4725

NGC2403_New-LRGB_1-crop-cbg-St_BX_G.jpg

This positively sparkles!  Beautifully processed with subtle colouration

3) Minhlead M101 with Supernova

259e27ab-5b07-40fc-b142-973a988369bc.thumb.jpg.3c49ae68eb7c0d90fd93d0c524873f80.jpg

OK, we are never going to have a level playing field with these challenges, some people have dark skies, some have more cloud than others and Minhlead gets to remotely access Vietnam's largest scope, a mightly CDK600!  What a result!  You could get lost peering at the fine detail in this image.

It is well worth having a look through the 4 pages of galaxy images and thinking about which images you would have picked.

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/408486-sgl-2023-challenge-4-galaxies/

• Like 5

Thank you judges !! 😊 This is the first time I've won anything since I started this great hobby.

2 1/2 years in now, It still amazes me everytime I manage to image something like this from my back garden. There were some really lovely images submitted, so I feel humbled and chuffed that you selected one of mine. And congratulations to tomatobro and minhlead too !👏

Stu

• Like 2

Congratulations to all of the worthy winners. The galaxy challenge is always my favourite, thanks to all at SGL who take the time to set it up and do the the difficult job of judging the entries.👏

Well done to the winners! Great images.

I think this was the first challenge I've entered. Not that I thought had any chance, but I do now have an unused acceptance speech, should anyone need one..🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2