Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron dx5 or dx6? Or even the 130

Absolute novice here, to the point I’ve tried searching other posts to find my answer and it’s like your speaking another language, so please be kind 🙂 it’s also why I like the phone function of these models 

Which telescope is better the dx5 or 6 in this series? I live rural in Australia so clear skies & have a 360 degree of the sky, want to be able to see planets and ideally detail in the planets.

Happy to spend the extra of the two models if there is a great deal of difference in detail, but in likelihood we will probably use it for a month or two then bring it out occasionally 

Or is the dx130 ok? It seems to have the same size eye pieces as the dx5 

Thank you in advance! 

For planetary viewing aperture and focal length is what you want - so out of these I would go for the dx6. However, given these are manual Alt-Az mounts (without any form of tracking) at long FL you may struggle to keep the planets in view.

Personally, given your location, I would look at a Dobsonian. Not only are they good for planets, but due to extra light gathering capacity, in dark skies will show you a whole lot more. An 8" Starsense dobsonian is a similar cost to the 6" DX but more versatile.

On a separate note, I was in Australia a few years ago, in rural WA. They were the darkest clearest skies I have ever seen. If you live in rural (dark) Oz, consider yourself very lucky from an Astro point-of-view.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing! Thank you for a great explanation it’s greatly appreciated 

Is this the one what you are referring to? I’d need a tripod to go with it, otherwise I’d get trampled on by horses and cows, we get 42 degrees here in summer so outside is covered for shade unless I go out into the field - is a tripod possible or am I best to stick to the 6”

https://www.bintel.com.au/product/starsense-explorer-8-smartphone-app-enabled-dobsonian-telescope/?gclid=CjwKCAjwzJmlBhBBEiwAEJyLu4HgBUk50i3eGLalXWiwRYN13NsnuwvccFPBLi0HFGpL1pKZJ5VRYBoC5jgQAvD_BwE

Extremely lucky here, it’s pitch black outside unless we have a moon in play which is why I’ve always wanted to start this expensive hobby 😄

thank you very much!! 

29 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

For planetary viewing aperture and focal length is what you want - so out of these I would go for the dx6. However, given these are manual Alt-Az mounts (without any form of tracking) at long FL you may struggle to keep the planets in view.

Personally, given your location, I would look at a Dobsonian. Not only are they good for planets, but due to extra light gathering capacity, in dark skies will show you a whole lot more. An 8" Starsense dobsonian is a similar cost to the 6" DX but more versatile.

On a separate note, I was in Australia a few years ago, in rural WA. They were the darkest clearest skies I have ever seen. If you live in rural (dark) Oz, consider yourself very lucky from an Astro point-of-view.

11 minutes ago, Xxjrhxx said:

Is this the one what you are referring to? I’d need a tripod to go with it, otherwise I’d get trampled on by horses and cows, we get 42 degrees here in summer so outside is covered for shade unless I go out into the field - is a tripod possible or am I best to stick to the 6”

Yes - that is the scope I was referring to. If you need a tripod, then the Dobsonian is not really an option. You can get larger tripods for 8" newtonians - but it starts getting costly and the Starsense part becomes an add on or you need GOTO. A 6" SCT is still a good scope and you will be able to see plenty with it. My only concern is whether the mount will be stable enough with the long focal length. Manufacturers tend to use the lightest mounts possible which are not really up to the task. I have no specific experience of this scope so cannot really comment.

There is a review here that might be worth a look:

Celestron StarSense Explorer DX 6" SCT Review (telescopicwatch.uk)

It also suggests the Astro Fi SCT which is a similar price to the Starsense DX, but has a fully motorised mount. It does take a little more time to set up in the field but has the advantage of GOTO and tracking. Personally, if it was me, I would want the tracking mount. Once you get used to setting it up it only take a few minutes and probably only a bit longer than aligning your phone in the Starsense holder.

Thank you, I’ve looked at the CELESTRON ASTRO FI 6 and stock is non existent here in Australia unless I pay a hundreds in shipping… (which id be willing to consider if you think it’s worth it) 

otherwise I’ll go with the 6” if you think that will be ok for a newbie like me.. 

So the 5” or dx130 is a complete right off for what i want to do right?

Thank you for taking the time to help me out

59 minutes ago, Xxjrhxx said:

That would be a very good choice 👍

It is a very capable scope and perfect for Newbies.

The Dobsonian base the scope sits on will offer the same protection from cows and horses as a tripod 😂

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

That would be a very good choice 👍

The Dobsonian base the scope sits on will offer the same protection from cows and horses as a tripod 😂

Haha there’s a difference from me laying on the ground in a field with a telescope than me standing up at their height with a tripod looking into it! BIG difference 😂😂

5 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

IMG_0371.thumb.jpeg.21b85ca432297f247f45263bbd355790.jpeg

really? The one in that link looked tiny.. like you’d have to be a hobbit to stand up and use it  - are sure? 

I like the idea of the dobsonian (and thankful for the advice) but I had to play defence using a deck chair to fend off a kangaroo in my front yard the other day.. so need to remain on guard somewhat.. 

I think I’d be more likely to use something on a tripod than being on the ground 

One option to reach the perfect observing height is to put the whole dobsonian scope on top of a few concrete paving slabs.

But it sounds like you need to build a fenced in area to keep the locals out 🥴

That’s not a crazy idea .. but I just did a mental price of sandstone blocks x 4 which would be $800aud, due to high winds and flooding here so need reenforcement for optimal height viewing.. I’m not completely opposed to it, we are building a with new outdoor open area but there will be a shed and house either side so will be obstructed 😞

can I just go the 6” with the tripod or will I be wasting my money…

im battling wind, floods and native animals (we have fences but a kangaroo managed to get in yesterday, and my horses are so nosey)  but at the same time have an awesome view of the sky 

Be aware of overall dimensions if you are thinking of buying an 8" Newtonian.  The Dob version will require you to stand for viewing objects near the zenith, and crouch to view near the horizon.  If you put it on a tripod, and fully extend the legs, you should be able to stand for observing objects near the horizon, but if you aim it at the zenith the eyepiece will be  about 7 feet off the ground, and maybe in an awkward position as well - really not good. But if you don't have board fences around, you don't need to extend the tripod legs. SCTs with their short tube and eyepiece at the back are more user-friendly in practice (but more expensive).

The 5" scopes will not show you as much as a 6" or 8", but at a dark skies site will still show you lots of stuff.

I second the comments about mounts. A lot of the entry level scopes come with what I call a 'wobblemount', while what you actually want is a tripod that looks as if it was made with scaffolding poles.

Another option is to buy a small Newtonian, either as an OTA or as a mini-Dob, and put it of a solid tripod like the AZ4-2.  A small Newt would be more expendable than a 6" SCT should the livestock kick it over. 🙄

I suggest you regard your first scope as something to test the waters with, rather than a lifetime purchase.  Keen amateur astronomers often trade up, or acquire a collection of scopes.  

4 minutes ago, Xxjrhxx said:

but I just did a mental price of sandstone blocks x 4 which would be $800aud, due to high winds and flooding here so need reenforcement for optimal height viewing.. I’m not completely opposed to it, we are building a with new outdoor open area but there will be a shed and house either side so will be obstructed

You need a clear view to the North (for planets and northerly objects) Other directions are less important.  Why $800? Can't you use building blocks which are pretty cheap, if ugly? Maybe build a viewing platform high enough to deter the animals?