Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Camera Chip Fried

wsteel33

Hi All

This is a cry for help.

I think the control chip on my camera has just fried.  (NINA no longer recognises it as connected although it is powered on and plugged in)

There was a click and a puff of smoke, its clearly drawn too much current.

The camera is a RisingCam IMX571 (basically a rebranded version of a Touptek camera).

There is no way in a million yrs I can afford to replace it, does anyone out there know of any possibility of getting this camera repaired,

Any help or advice would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks

Wayne

The board marking show that it's a capacitor, which is usually a quite rare thing to blow....  It may be possible to replace it, if you are adept at reading its value, the removing/replacing the surface mounted device, but there may well be other damaged components, that caused the capacitor to blow in the first place...

It's a tantalum electrolytic capacitor. It's quite likely a similar value to C39, above and to the left, so see if any visible remaining markings match. Towards the bottom of this webpage it shows typical markings for tantalum types.

Note that the end with the dark line is the positive terminal, opposite to aluminium electrolytic can type electrolytics where the black marked end is negative. The chamfered ends of the pcb silk screen indicates the positive end too.

When they first arrived on the scene in the late 1970s, tantalum capacitors offered much higher capacitances in smaller packages than the usual aluminium electrolytics, and were widely used until it was found they had an annoying habit of going short circuit and so burning up, for no apparent reason, when they fell out of favour. Since surface mount components came about they seem to be quite common again. I assume their construction has improved to avoid this feature, but in the absence of any other components looking stressed, it may have just failed on its own.

Alan

• Like 2