Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi all,

I’ve recently started storing my 10” dob in the conservatory for easier access to my observing position.  Thing is, it gets really hot in there.  I mean really, really hot.

Are there any issues storing it in an environment like this?  Could any damage be caused?

If there are no electronics, I would mainly worry about plastic, rubber, and glued parts.  All will become brittle and crack/crumble more quickly when exposed to high heat in my experience.

If there are any press-board components, the glue holding them together might be compromised at some point by heat.  I know I have trouble with press-board absorbing moisture and swelling in non-climate controlled storage areas.

I would think metal and glass parts would be completely unaffected by temperature.  Sure, they'd take longer to reach thermal equilibrium when you take them out to observe, but they wouldn't be damaged or degraded like plastic, rubber, and glue.  However, high humidity could quickly lead to fungal growth on them.  I keep my equipment stored in my climate controlled house to avoid these issues with our Gulf humidity.  My Dobs' mirrors look terrific for being 25+ years old.

I have no idea if your 10" Dob has any non-metal, non-glass parts or uses any glue.

Edited by Louis D
  • Like 3

Do you have an alternative to the conservatory?   Your very hot conservatory is not ideal, neither is the opposite, very cold and damp storage with no air circulation.

Ideal would be cool, dry, dust free, air circulation and of course secure.

But it’s often a trade off between the convenience you have near to your observing spot and ideal storage.  If it were me I’d weigh up any alternative storage you may have and make the best trade off (compromise) you can.

Perhaps in the coldest months of the year when your conservatory doesn’t get extremely hot, it may be the best compromise. And of course the coldest months have the longest hours of darkness.

Ed.

You can apply films to the roof and windows to reject most of the heat coming from the Sun, so that the conservatory is at acceptable temperature in the summer. It can be a DIY job.

They also reject nearly all UV light.

E.g.:

https://www.abodewindowfilms.co.uk/product/coolkote-conservatory-roof-window-film/

Edited by Piero

1 hour ago, TheycallmeRiver said:

Also helpful.  Thank you.  I think I’m going to move it back to its proper storage and sacrifice that little bit of convenience. 

That is what I did. I don't actually use my dob that often but it is kept in a steady, temperature room in a bag to help keep the dust out. 

My dob lives on a cart in my non-insulated garage.  It is subjected to temps ranging from below zero F to 90 F plus.  I toss a cover over it to keep dust off of it.  I do run a fan in the garage to move air around.  Thus far i have had no issues at all 

I bring my 12” dobsonian and my Starfield indoors after every session. Any moisture or dew quickly dries then I throw a plastic dust sheet over the Starfield and EQ5 pro. The dobsonian just gets the cap replaced and it fends for itself. I also fit desiccant caps on both.