SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Tell me it's not just me?

Neil_104

So I'm finally off and running with imaging M88. After setting up, polar aligning, aligning the mount, focussing on a star, having plate solving not working so had to manually search about a bit for M88, setting up & tweaking the guiding, to finally clicking the sequence run button, I'm not going to lie - I have a headache and I need a drink.

It's not just me is it??! 

But bl**dy hell is it satisfying once it's all up and running and you can finally sit back enjoy the images rolling in. And enjoy that drink 😄

• Like 5

No, it's not just you. :D

I also had to carry the mount, scope, camera, guide scope & camera, leads, cables & laptop from the front of the house into the back garden. Then put it all away again at the end of the session.

Last summer I built a roll off roof shed observatory and now I can turn on the laptop, cool the camera while I roll the roof off, slew to target, plate solve, final focus and start imaging.

What used to take me 45 minutes to an hour, now takes 10-15 minutes. :D

• Like 1

Absolutely par for the course...I think a certain masochistic trait is an essential requirement to do this hobby.

Astronomy was a hell of a lot simpler when I started 50 years ago..

Edited by rl
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, glad to hear I'm not alone in this.

I'd love to get some kind of observatory going in the future, whatever form that may take. It would certainly cut down on the setup. Even just a pier to cut out the heavy lifting and polar alignment would be a great help.

But in the meantime it's another night, another target, another headache and another beer 😄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Neil_104 said:

Thanks guys, glad to hear I'm not alone in this.

I'd love to get some kind of observatory going in the future, whatever form that may take. It would certainly cut down on the setup. Even just a pier to cut out the heavy lifting and polar alignment would be a great help.

But in the meantime it's another night, another target, another headache and another beer 😄

You don’t necessarily need a pier - I’ve had my HEQ5 tripod and mount setup outside for about 3 years. Covered with a large bbq cover. No adverse effects. Setup time to getting first image is about 15mins. Unless I’ve knocked the tripod at some point and need to polar align again which makes time above about 30mins. I use Ekos for everything 😊

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

A permanent setup divides the hassle by somewhere between 10 and 100...

Olly

Agreed, it's the best upgrade you will ever do. Best of all is that it doesn't come with bright primary coloured anodising :)

Jim

• Like 1

On 19/05/2023 at 23:52, Neil_104 said:

So I'm finally off and running with imaging M88. After setting up, polar aligning, aligning the mount, focussing on a star, having plate solving not working so had to manually search about a bit for M88, setting up & tweaking the guiding, to finally clicking the sequence run button, I'm not going to lie - I have a headache and I need a drink.

It's not just me is it??! 

But bl**dy hell is it satisfying once it's all up and running and you can finally sit back enjoy the images rolling in. And enjoy that drink 😄

@Neil_104 LOL my friend, you most definitely aren't alone in this one! I live upstairs on 2nd floor flat, and I have to carry all my gear, in one go ( trust me, it's hard! ) down all the stairs, then go through around 1 hour of setting up! ( and obviously carry it all back up the stairs again when finished! ) But as you rightly say, that feeling when FINALLY everything is setup and running, and you can sit back and watch it fire away taking subs, it's wonderful! I can't go back inside my flat until everything finished though, so I have my leather chair outside and a flask of coffee ( I carry the flask of coffee down too, but the chair gets left in the garden! LOL ) 

This hobby takes commitment, patience, and lots and lots of time! But it's so rewarding when you start making progress, even with the smallest of things, like getting your polar alignment spot on, or finally working out how to use PHD2 Guiding, etc etc etc. All the little victories mean so much more when you had to actually work for them! 

Clear Skies! 

Wes, Bortle 7 ( Liverpool UK )

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dazzyt66 said:

You don’t necessarily need a pier - I’ve had my HEQ5 tripod and mount setup outside for about 3 years. Covered with a large bbq cover. No adverse effects.

I've considered this before, having looked into the telegizmo covers, but was afraid of rust due to evaporation of rain up inside the cover. You've never experienced this then?

Maybe I should take another look into it, though I'd need to work out another place to dry the washing as the mount will be in the way 😂

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

I live upstairs on 2nd floor flat, and I have to carry all my gear, in one go ( trust me, it's hard! ) down all the stairs, then go through around 1 hour of setting up!

I really sympathise with you there - I used to live in a 1st floor flat and had a similar trek up & down stairs. I'm very fortunate today to have patio doors straight out into the garden - I shall never complain about setting up again!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neil_104 said:

I've considered this before, having looked into the telegizmo covers, but was afraid of rust due to evaporation of rain up inside the cover. You've never experienced this then?

Maybe I should take another look into it, though I'd need to work out another place to dry the washing as the mount will be in the way 😂

Though I have a small shed style observatory now (4 panel roof instead of roll off—better wind protection), I had no problems with the TG cover I used to use. From -15F to 105F, through rain and snow. Cover your USB ports though! Lost one to a mud wasp nest…..

Cheers,

Scott

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Neil_104 said:

No rust or corrosion at all - the cover is vented underneath so airflow is there. Under the cover I keep the top of the mount covered with a shower cap (to keep insects out of ports) and then a thick towel over the whole lot to capture any potential condensation. 

Through wind, rain and snow it’s been fine so far 😊

• Thanks 1

On 21/05/2023 at 23:04, Neil_104 said:

I really sympathise with you there - I used to live in a 1st floor flat and had a similar trek up & down stairs. I'm very fortunate today to have patio doors straight out into the garden - I shall never complain about setting up again!

Thanks @Neil_104. I'm glad I finally met someone who has had the same problem I have with living upstairs! LOL. 

My goodness that must be wonderful having Patio Doors and no stairs! I'm planning to move next year, not just for astro reasons, it's also because the flats where I live has a thief, who stole my brothers bike, and other peoples property, and the landlord won't evict him because they say without hard evidence/convictions, they can't terminate his tenancy agreement. This is the main reason I can't go back inside my flat when my gear is setup outside, for fear of it being stolen by the "Thief-in-chief"! So I'm moving away early next year. 

Clear Skies!

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, wesdon1 said:

Thanks @Neil_104. I'm glad I finally met someone who has had the same problem I have with living upstairs! LOL. 

My goodness that must be wonderful having Patio Doors and no stairs! I'm planning to move next year, not just for astro reasons, it's also because the flats where I live has a thief, who stole my brothers bike, and other peoples property, and the landlord won't evict him because they say without hard evidence/convictions, they can't terminate his tenancy agreement. This is the main reason I can't go back inside my flat when my gear is setup outside, for fear of it being stolen by the "Thief-in-chief"! So I'm moving away early next year. 

Clear Skies!

Set up an infrared webcam and catch him red handed.

• Like 1

On 23/05/2023 at 12:05, wesdon1 said:

That's terrible :icon_sad: Glad to hear you have plans to move though, always helps once you know it's not forever👍 

Yep, I probably take my ease of getting outside into the garden for granted these days. But you know what it's like - as soon as one issue is solved, the next makes itself known in short order!

• Thanks 1