NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New supernova discovered.

Doc

Taken off the cloudynights forum......

A bright Supernova has been discovered in NGC 4088 in Ursa Major.

Apparently when you observe this galaxy you should see a bright star within the galaxy, this you might take as the core but it's not it's the supernova.

If it's clear weekend I'll have a go at it.

I was hoping to see this but I think mag 13.5 is just a little too faint from my London site :)

I may take a pic to see what come out.

Cheers

Ian

It's even faint in my 16" dob but if it's good skies I can get down that low.

Sounds like a job for more aperture than what' I've got. My average transparency allows me to avertedly coax out mid 13 mag stars, but I wouldn't have a snowball's chance when it's inside of a galaxy, lol. If anyone manages to spot this one before it fades, let us know.. wow, that'd be a nice addition to anyone's logbook!

That looks like a good target for a big long FL scope, like the one I have mothballed at the moment :)

Being that close to the core, it'll take a lot of careful processing, but it's worth having a bash.

I imaged SN2008ax last year, and that was a real thrill :).....had a quick look this year and it's gone of course.

Stargazers Lounge - Rob Hodgkinson's Album: Rob Hodgkinsons images - Picture

Cheers

Rob

SN2008ax isn't gone Rob, I just saw it in your image. ;)

Nice job! :)

True, it's still there....now if we could warp out to more than a light year further away, we could still catch it.....Scotty....:)

Rob

Managed to spot this last night with the 12" dob after deciding that the transparency was above average. My first observing session in months, the neighbours were playing ball with their 'security' lighting and I've bagged an extragalactic supernova :)

NGC 4088 is about mag 11 but the supernova makes it much easier to see (as a star with some elongated fuzziness around it). The supernova itself seemed brighter to me than mag 13 - maybe it is now.

I've since found out after consulting Starry Night Pro that NGC4085 is in the same FOV of the Ethos but it's mag 13. I didn't see it but then I wasn't really looking for it.

Hoping for clear skies at SGL4 so I can have another look.

Folks

Very good seeing up here in N Wales all weekend, managed to see the new supernova in NGC 4844, with Jean my wife, needed averted vision and the light to fall on a decent receptor in the eye , but quite obvious if episodic when it did. Clear enough to see spiral structure in M51 and interestingly a bit of structure in the centre of M101. Finished up looking at the Virgo Supercluster and the Sunflower Galaxy. Tried some obscure NGC globulars but couldn't see them. I was using my 12" F5.3 Orion with a Meade 4000 SWA 15mm fl eyepiece, it was not obvious at lower mag, presumably due to lack of contrast.

Spent the day planting all manner of fruit and vegetables around the obsy, distinctly horticultural now. I am trying a living lightscreen with a Clematis (Clematis Astro of course)!

Regards

Dave Smith

Archived