NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

4 hours ago, M40 said:

I know exactly what you mean. We were visiting family last night and I took the ss50, so with very limited time I quickly rattled off a number of targets including m101 and m82. M82 was pretty good after 1 minute but m101, both with and without the filter, after a couple minutes proved to be very faint; m31 was a life saver.

My thoughts are that we need to understand the strengths and limitations of a small telescope with a colour camera. Usually for eeva I use an 85mm telescope with a mono camera for at least 5 minutes on M101 and it has to be a clear night, so why I expected a smaller telescope with a shorter exposure time to perform better is beyond me. 

So maybe leaving it to run for about 30 minutes on a galaxy will hopefully give better results. At the same time my plan is to hit the widefield targets with the ss50 that I cant get with my other telescopes.

It is good knowing what the ss50 is good at though; which is one of the reasons I went for epsilon lyrae, would it see any separation? Next target will likely be a double star with two colour stars, that will be an interesting one.

With faint galaxies like M33, M101 you have to let it shoot, with the filters for 10-13 min and the skies don't have to be real great seeing / transparency wise. I am in a Bortle 4-5 zone and on a bad nite B6. In most cases, in those zones, filters are a must have.

Is the ability to save separate FITS files (rather than stacked) available in the generally distributed software upgrades, or is is only available in beta versions distributed to beta testers? Various beta testers have published Youtube videos indicating that they had this feature available to them.

This is from the ZWO Seestar site dated July: " Moreover, our Pro Mode, coming soon, will introduce exciting additional features, including the ability to save individual images from each exposure for users to further enhance and personalize."

So far as I know, the 'Pro Mode' remains vapourware.

18 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Is the ability to save separate FITS files (rather than stacked) available in the generally distributed software upgrades, or is is only available in beta versions distributed to beta testers? Various beta testers have published Youtube videos indicating that they had this feature available to them.

This is from the ZWO Seestar site dated July: " Moreover, our Pro Mode, coming soon, will introduce exciting additional features, including the ability to save individual images from each exposure for users to further enhance and personalize."

So far as I know, the 'Pro Mode' remains vapourware.

There is a setting in the "advanced features" menu to "save all frames" - this saves separate FITS and JPEGS in a SeeStar folder with the suffix '-sub', accessible when you connect to your computer.

Screenshot (15 Oct 2023 16_07_11).png

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elp said:

The LP filter (it really should be branded as something else), is a narrowband (wide bandpass) ha and o3 filter, your main benefit of using this will be on emission nebulae rich in these elements.

yes, considering a lot of buyers will be beginners, it's another example of how poor the manual is not explaining thi really isn't it ?

in summary for beginners:

emissions nebulas (most of em) : LP on

galaxies, stars, moon, reflection nebulas (not as many - iris, etc): LP off

If in doubt of whether a nebula is emission or reflection mainly start with LP on as far more common.

• Like 1

I will closly check next time but I thought that the LP filter turned on / off depending on the target you select or you can manually select its operation as well ?  I just shoot everything, I note it is green many times but I don't pay a lot of attention and  haven't had a bad shot yet. I will make it a point to try every possiblity next time out.

5 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

I will closly check next time but I thought that the LP filter turned on / off depending on the target you select or you can manually select its operation as well ?  I just shoot everything, I note it is green many times but I don't pay a lot of attention and  haven't had a bad shot yet. I will make it a point to try every possiblity next time out.

yeh I think you are correct - though of course you can override it.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2023 at 02:36, DaveL59 said:

Yep, I'm not sure I'd have the inclination to span several nights on one target getting all the data to stack afterwards but it does show what can be achieved and that's pretty amazing for an entry level smart scope. I guess if we were minded to do that on a particular target we could run say 30 mins on that at the same start time each night and then go off and browse other targets. Over a week that's build up a few hours of data to collate, not sure I'd be that disciplined nor organised tho 😉 

Agreed , ZWO should add a reminder feature

For those in the UK looking for a lens cap, a seller on the bay is offering 3D printed ones:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276090459472

image.png.4c8717caf1538a83af9ec3cbe109958f.png

Mine arrived today, fits pretty well, just a touch loose but stays in place when the arm is parking and very low profile so it doesn't interfere with its movement. Pretty pleased for £4.99 +£1.55 postage.

• Like 2

I know it's the 'competition', but just thought it worth saying - there's 9% discount direct from dwarf lab at the mo - I just ordered a dwarf ii inc delivery for 357 squid.

I think it might be more what Im looking for for travelling that the S50 so thought I'd get one and have a play. If it is, I'll be punting the S50.

But as others have said, they compliment each other, or at least do some different things, so worth considering if in the market for a smart scope - and it is much cheaper - S50 550 shipped vs dwarf ii 357. Now admittedly that's the classic, not with deluxe with extra filters and battery - but a cheaper S50 is not an option so still a valid comparison imho - especially if you already have some 1.25" filters and can print off a filter adapter.

stu

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, powerlord said:

I know it's the 'competition', but just thought it worth saying - there's 9% discount direct from dwarf lab at the mo - I just ordered a dwarf ii inc delivery for 357 squid.

I think it might be more what Im looking for for travelling that the S50 so thought I'd get one and have a play. If it is, I'll be punting the S50.

But as others have said, they compliment each other, or at least do some different things, so worth considering if in the market for a smart scope - and it is much cheaper - S50 550 shipped vs dwarf ii 357. Now admittedly that's the classic, not with deluxe with extra filters and battery - but a cheaper S50 is not an option so still a valid comparison imho - especially if you already have some 1.25" filters and can print off a filter adapter.

stu

Good Luck ! I sold my Dwarf II before my S50 arrived. I like the narrower FOV but the huge increase in detail over the fainter, wider views. For me a few dollars difference is not the big thing in all of this, never is.

When it comes to these new, low cost smart scopes money should never be the driving factor, the S50 is a driving factor, that is being proven in every new  performance, features and ease of use video being put out. If you want to hear a little jingle in your pocket, ride in the back seat and hang on !

er..as usual not quite sure of the point you are making

1. wider views but actually pixel resolution is about the same if dwarf didn't do 2x2 binning, so we'll have to see if that is an option for the future, but its already an option for terrestrial photo and videos which is interesting to me.

2. 'LOW COST smart scopes money should never be the driving factor' - eh?? of course it is. it's on your own statement.

However cost aside, I maintain these do different things- for a start s50 is pretty rubbish for terrestrial stuff. Additionally, the much wider fov allows for targets and compositions that the S50 just cannot do - and even if a mosaic mode is added - they will take ages.

It's not a fight - one does not have to win. I'm glad the S50 is better FOR YOU. That does not mean it is better for everyone.

stu

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, powerlord said:

1. wider views but actually pixel resolution is about the same if dwarf didn't do 2x2 binning, so we'll have to see if that is an option for the future, but its already an option for terrestrial photo and videos which is interesting to me.

2. 'LOW COST smart scopes money should never be the driving factor' - eh?? of course it is. it's on your own statement.

However cost aside, I maintain these do different things- for a start s50 is pretty rubbish for terrestrial stuff. Additionally, the much wider fov allows for targets and compositions that the S50 just cannot do - and even if a mosaic mode is added - they will take ages.

It's not a fight - one does not have to win. I'm glad the S50 is better FOR YOU. That does not mean it is better for everyone.

stu

I am staying with what I said which is from actual experience, with both, I really don't care if anyone pays attention.  And you are wrong about the money issue because if it is with some they are in the wrong hobby, astro is no place to hem and haw, nickel and dime, lol !   PS:  Keep reading that post I am sure you will get the point, hopefully !  PPS:  I love those accessories that I just received, 3D or no 3D !

Edited by LDW1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, powerlord said:

stu

The terrestrial work (stuff) is top of the line in every way !

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, powerlord said:

stu

I agree with you on this one Stu ... i was ( and am, to a slightly less extent ) excited to get the SeeStars but the more i see the more i like the Dwarf . I will have both because i believe they compliment each other , but , for now there are simply things tha the dwarf does better ... , they are even opening it up for basic planetary imaging ! And with the update imminent for the end of October its exciting times ahead . The see stars has a narrower field of view , but its results speak for themselves . 

Stu  

40 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

So , are you saying you can only enjoy the hobby if you can afford it ?

Take it as you want !  But you know exactly my point !

Edited by LDW1

Do all these ....... guys not think that SS will come out with the same capabilities as DII probably only better as they are doing now ?  If you don't, your dreams continue, lol !  The proof is in the pudding, naysayers or no naysayers !  Interestingly you haven't shown anything but idle words, lol !  PS:  Carry on McDuffs ! 

12 minutes ago, powerlord said:

this is the kind of mince I expect on the 'other' forum

I am thinking the same, is this not the SeeStar posted thread ?  All 26 pages.  Many times I really can't understand your posts save to denigrate the SeeStar and its great performance, there has to be something good to say on its own thread, surely !  I am bewildered !

12 minutes ago, powerlord said:

this is the kind of mince I expect on the 'other' forum

Edited by LDW1

My thoughts are that as with all things, give it a go and if something is not for you then move it on or put it away for another time and take the virtual pat on the back for being flexible enough to try it. Personally, it fits quite nicely with my other stuff and makes for a great grab and go.

I  don't think either the dwarf or the seestar is suitable for planetary stuff so I will be interested to see how that pans out. 

• Like 3