Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepiece screws and wide barrels

This is driving me slightly nuts. How do you screw in or unscrew an eyepiece when the screw is hard up against the barrel of the eyepiece? I've attached a picture of the Baader Hyperion Zoom IV on my Skymax 127 prism diagonal, and the barrel is touching the screw.

This makes things fiddly and difficult, especially with hands numbed by the cold.

I'm sure one of you must have a brilliant solution ...

P1220566.JPG

You don’t have to put the full barrel down into the slot into the diagonal. Leave the EP slightly higher so that it is secure still but with enough room to tighten the screw up better. Leave the EP about 5mm higher which should make it easier to do the screw.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

You don’t have to put the full barrel down into the slot into the diagonal. Leave the EP slightly higher so that it is secure still but with enough room to tighten the screw up better. Leave the EP about 5mm higher which should make it easier to do the screw.

Thanks, Knightly (Rush fan, by any chance?).

Is this what people do? Is it really that simple? I've tried this with the Hyperion Zoom and it works well, but then it has a ridged barrel for the screw to grip. On eyepieces with a smoother barrel I'd be worried about slippage. I'll have to give it a try.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Or fit the EP into the diagonal inside your house before you go outside, then fit the diagonal with the EP in to the scope outside as the screws to tighten in to the back of the scope are much easier to access and screw tight. 

Still makes it a faff trying to change eyepieces in the field.

I suppose I could go 'full SGL' and buy one scope for each eyepiece ... 🤣

• Like 1

You could put a 1.25 inch par-focalisation ring on the eyepiece barrel. This would lift it up a few mm and then it would clear that screw on the diagonal. For a solution that would help all eyepieces you could simply change the screws used on the diagonal for slimmer / longer ones ?

Edited by John
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

You can get longer screws. I'm sure FLO will have something suitable.

6 minutes ago, John said:

You could put a 1.25 inch par-focalisation ring on the eyepiece barrel. This would lift it up a few mm and then it would clear that screw on the diagonal. For a solution that would help all eyepieces you could simply change the screws used on the diagonal for slimmer / longer ones ?

Worth looking into. Thanks, guys!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Froglord said:

Thanks, Knightly (Rush fan, by any chance?).

Is this what people do? Is it really that simple? I've tried this with the Hyperion Zoom and it works well, but then it has a ridged barrel for the screw to grip. On eyepieces with a smoother barrel I'd be worried about slippage. I'll have to give it a try.

Rush? Never heard of ‘em? ;)

I have have done this before on certain EP and diagonals. As long as the screw is fully tight then it never been a problem, even with EP’s with smother barrels. If you can source a longer screw that would be good, but getting one with the right thread for your diagonal might be troublesome. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knighty2112 said:

Rush? Never heard of ‘em? ;)

I've only just realised they're the picture in your avatar - I didn't recognise them in their 'Priests of the Temples of Syrinx' getup.

• Like 1