Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Comfort while viewing

hi everybody !

I'm looking into which telescope type i should get (Newtonian or Schmidt-Cassegrain ) and a important question came to mind about comfort while viewing esp. the back !

now i dont mind standing as I sit all day at work but i have suffered from some back pain during periods of poor posture i.e leaning forward for prolonged periods.

I realise that its relative to what your looking at at the time but would it be true to say that you spend more time leaning over using SCT's ?

thanks for any advice.

I use a Newt, and I have similar back problems. I find it helps to have something under my bum to relieve the pressure on my lower back and hips. I usually sit on a barstool, which is pretty high and lets me look through the ep in a more comfortable position than standing.

And welcome to SGL!

I've owned many (too many !) different types of scopes but I'd have to say that the easiest on the back that I have used is a fork mounted schmidt cassegrain or maksutov cassegrain. The eyepiece seems to be in a much more accessible position most of the time and the scopes short tube reduces the "stoop factor" considerably.

John

I'd have to agree with John, the fork mount has been the easiest on my back (have a congenital problem, plus I broke it about 15 years ago). There are areas near the pole which are nearly impossible to access without playing 'Celestial Twister', but other than that it's great. You can also lean on the base of the fork mount without disturbing anything.. eases the back muscles a bit.

Seating is important, too. I've used drummer's stools and the folding 'Denver' type observing chair but they can't compare to the comfort of the auto mechanic's stool I use now.:)

Hello,

I prefer to observe seated as I also have a bad back.

I currently have a Newt, refractor, SCT and a Mak and use an eq mount.

In order of ease of comfort ...

1. Mak

2. SCT

3. Refractor

4. Newt

The Mak wins due to it's very short tube length.

HTH

D25

A comfortable seating position is a must in this hobby. I have a dob and I use one of those telescopic bar stools with a high back.

It's a god-send, the adjusting range is very good indeed.

I've had a design in mind incorporating the seat tube from a bicycle, a quick adjust clamp, and a comfortable bicycle seat. If you got a 17" seat tube and post, you'd be able to adjust from 20 to 33". It would be a similar affair to a hunting stick.

There is quite a lot of difference between a SCT and a Newt, besides the difference in standing position. The SCT is usually f/10, and brilliant on the Moon and planets, but not as wide field as a Newt, which is better on DSOs. Of course, with the SCT you can see anything that will fit in the FOV, but that may be something to think about.

Hi Warthog,

I really like your bike saddle idea. I've been torturing myself about how to make an adjustable seat. I've been looking at the denver ideas but the drawback from these is they need flat ground.

I saw another with adjustable legs but i dont have a spare tripod head. possibly need a number of solutions.

brian

Archived