Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leica/Zeiss zoom/VIP revival thread

jetstream

I see @Littleguy80 has just purchased the super Leica zoom. Years ago YKSE and @Piero did some researching on the use of the Baader VIP with these eyepieces. They came up with Baader # 2458199 to delete the intrusive nosepiece. Its a must have IMHO. @John just re posted the Leica config barlow effect with the VIP. My own image of the Zeiss zoom/VIP shows how to get it to work in most diagonals.

These are excellent, top tier eyepieces but Neil just might need even more mag with that new Tak... 👍

LeicaBaaderVIP.jpg.64d94629a56fead346c91d48cfd1908c.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I use APM's 2" adapter for the Leica and Baaders Diascope adapter for the Zeiss.Whats your overall length for max mag? Can you reach focus like that?

Without the VIP I had to use a 1.25” diagonal to get enough in focus. With the VIP it was fine with one 15mm T2. It got too dark and cloudy by the time I added the other two 15mm extension tubes. Will check on focussing with those tomorrow 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jetstream said:

I can do like you and have more up top but I prefer to have more in the diag for reduced height if possible. I also have a 2" filter thread to T2 adapter so I can barlow any 2" eyepiece. Heres the 20mm Lunt with it.

IMG_1260.thumb.JPG.a314f283b5550ce2b4537cc46586f87b.JPG

I have mine permanently setup like that and mostly use it with the Docter. Works brilliantly!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Littleguy80 said:

Without the VIP I had to use a 1.25” diagonal to get enough in focus. With the VIP it was fine with one 15mm T2. It got too dark and cloudy by the time I added the other two 15mm extension tubes. Will check on focussing with those tomorrow 

Perfect- we could always add another 15mm ring to the set up for more barlow effect, these 2 EPs love the barlow. Your going to need more than 250x in tour Tak...

Will be using mine on the moon in a few hours. Very easy to catch the seeing with these.

• Like 1

Just now, Littleguy80 said:

I have mine permanently setup like that and mostly use it with the Docter. Works brilliantly!

The Docter barlows very well as you know and I leave Baader #2408151 on it permanently too, just screw on the barlow and rings. I think you use the same adapter.

1 minute ago, jetstream said:

The Docter barlows very well as you know and I leave Baader #2408151 on it permanently too, just screw on the barlow and rings. I think you use the same adapter.

Yep, Piero made the suggestion on that one :) I also use a Baader 2” nosepiece rather than eyepiece holder to screw the VIP Barlow element into. Reduces the weight quite noticeably

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

It’s like a who’s who of great eyepieces there 😁

Btw, you would love the Nikon 17 HW/14 EIC...  Leave the Doc barlowed, use the 14mm 100 for galaxies then throw the Doc in for a better look.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Btw, you would love the Nikon 17 HW/14 EIC...  Leave the Doc barlowed, use the 14mm 100 for galaxies then throw the Doc in for a better look.

Hehe I’m sure I would. Might need up a little for that one. I’ve never had a 14mm eyepiece. Closest was the 13mm APM HDC which went in favour of the Docter. The APM was good but nowhere near the Docter 

• Like 1

@Littleguy80 In order to get the eye illumiation we need at the mag we need a 180mm f8 TEC is required. On advice @Captain Scarlet I ran it by the wife from the investment perspective and had all my numbers and stats laid out- a great performance if I say so myself.

After all that she said: Absolutely Not  😔

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, jetstream said:

@Littleguy80 In order to get the eye illumiation we need at the mag we need a 180mm f8 TEC is required. On advice @Captain Scarlet I ran it by the wife from the investment perspective and had all my numbers and stats laid out- a great performance if I say so myself.

After all that she said: Absolutely Not  😔

😂 A VX12 appeared in the classifieds today. I did present a brief case on why it would make a good upgrade to the 10” for a relatively meagre investment. I won’t repeat the response I received in polite company but it seems I won’t be buying the VX12!

• Haha 3

Gerry - if you put that Zeiss zoom up for auction you might be able to justify a 180mm TEC to your better half. I tried buying one a couple of years ago and there were none for sale globally - new or used - over a six month period. Just lots of people trying to track one down.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Highburymark said:

Gerry - if you put that Zeiss zoom up for auction you might be able to justify a 180mm TEC to your better half. I tried buying one a couple of years ago and there were none for sale globally - new or used - over a six month period. Just lots of people trying to track one down.

Im sorry you cant find one, they are stunning, right up there with the HR/XO and barlow superbly. I can keep my eye out here for you as there are some smallish stores in Canada and you never know what they might have squirelled away.

It is sharper than the Leica :hiding:

Edited by jetstream

Blimey !!! - and I used to think that I was an "occularholic" 🙄

Something about the Leica zoom and the VIP and all the faffing with extensions etc, etc put me off using it, so off they went to a more appreciative home.

The performance was excellent though, I can't argue with that 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John said:

Blimey !!! - and I used to think that I was an "occularholic" 🙄

Hi, my name is Gerry and I'm an... 😁

Just having fun is the way I look at it and its been a process to get good views and good views we are getting now!  I have obs 5 out of 6 night now and the VX10 and TSA120 are cooling, ready for the moon.  The Leica is better suited for the dob so in it goes and I'll just move it back and forth to compare scopes.

When comparing I really dont like to use more than one eyepiece, and these zooms tick all the boxes.

• Like 1