Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Azi gti tripod good enough for EAA?

Good evening 

would anyone know if the azi gti tripod is stable and strong enough for EAA use or whether a steel tripod is worth the extra spend to stabilise it (if needed) 

im intending to use it for the startravel 102 with a zwo224 camera which is within its payload capacity- however I e heard it’s a poor tripod ? What’s general opinion on this ? 

thanks 

47 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Definitely more stable with the 1.75” steel tripod. You can also fit a wedge to get EQ tracking.

Hi I now it’s will be more stable but is it necessarily required is my question or is the azi fine as it is - I’ve no plan to fit a wedge for AP so not in it tbh for that purpose Alt Az will be fine on the gti for EAA but appreciate the suggestion all the same 

I used to use it with my sw 72ed with the legs unextended for astrophotography for a long time and was ok but not great. . I eventually got the 1.75inch sw steel tripod and the difference is amazing so much more stable and solid. So definitely go for the 1.75inch steel tripod. 

Lee

Hi, yes the tripod would be fine for EAA as it’s the same essentially as visual with a cam so providing you don’t exceed approx 80% of its payload capacity you should be fine - I would try it and see how you go and you can always mod up the tripod later 👍🏼

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

If you add some weight to the bottom of the tripod it will help to stabilise it. Providing it is not windy, I think it should be fine. Just keep it as low as you can.

As @Beardy30 says, try it and see.

😂 I think that answers that one 😂😂

• Haha 1

Try the weighting down. But experience tells me just looking at the tripod it's insufficient, you'll eventually understand through experience what a good tripod looks like. 

Will it hold your setup, yes. But note you're using a medium sized scope with a not short focal length near the limit of the weight of the mount, all factors which are a negative to causing dampening issues, using a tripod such as the one you're suggesting will likely exasperate the issue even at the slightest suggestion of a breeze, never mind when trying to set focus or something.

EAA and AP are essentially the same thing, you're taking images even though the exposures are shorter in EAA, so you still need a stable tripod+mount, most targets aren't as bright as you might think so need 5-10s+ exposures, any vibration or wind within that window will ruin said exposure.

This post says it all:

A lot of people skimp on a tripod, it's the most important piece in any setup.

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

Try the weighting down. But experience tells me just looking at the tripod it's insufficient, you'll eventually understand through experience what a good tripod looks like. 

Will it hold your setup, yes. But note you're using a medium sized scope with a not short focal length near the limit of the weight of the mount, all factors which are a negative to causing dampening issues, using a tripod such as the one you're suggesting will likely exasperate the issue even at the slightest suggestion of a breeze, never mind when trying to set focus or something.

EAA and AP are essentially the same thing, you're taking images even though the exposures are shorter in EAA, so you still need a stable tripod+mount, most targets aren't as bright as you might think so need 5-10s+ exposures, any vibration or wind within that window will ruin said exposure.

This post says it all:

A lot of people skimp on a tripod, it's the most important piece in any setup.

I would say the mount is the most important but yea I agree stability is important- try it and see, you may find it’s ok for now 

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Beardy30 said:

I would say the mount is the most important but yea I agree stability is important- try it and see, you may find it’s ok for now 

Thanks - I’ll try it first as I do t intend on touching it once in session other than to use the hand controls 👍🏼 as a more long term investment I could always look to a steel tripod in the future thanks 😊