SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SW120ED fixed

Following the advice of @John I re installed the Moonlight focuser after determining the original one was way out of alignment. The Moonlight was also off but very easy to adjust, which I did as shown in the other thread.  Originally the laser dot was off about 5/16" in one direction and about 3/16" in the other roughly. I lined the dot up within maybe .020" of center.

Seeing tonight was excellent.

Long story short but the scope now takes 375x extremely sharp and with a faster snap focus. I used the 3.4mm HR at first, not enough so back for the 2.5XO and 2.4 HR. The scope handled this mag with these EPs with ease and could take more. Previously around 265x stayed good but not as sharp as 375x now...

Yeah its really working and now I see what others were talking about regarding the vg optics. One eyepiece I should mention, that competes at the HR/XO level is the Zeiss 25.1-6.7 zoom/VIP.  I finished up the observing with this one up to about 300x and it was like a razor.

I never thought gross focuser alignment could degrade the views so bad, well I learned something new, thanks for the help John.

Gerry

• Like 17

Thanks everyone, Im pretty pumped to use this scope now. When I bought it I didnt have the Glatter laser and it just sat in the closet. Members might now see a flurry of 120ED threads lol

My plan was to get it working good and then sell it... now what do I do?! I dont think I can :icon_rolleyes:

Btw, @JeremyS and @dweller25 I felt a major ripple in space time hammer me over here from you guys when I mentioned I was selling the VX10. After using it the other night on the moon, first time in a while I backed out of the sale. Couldnt do it. My apologies to the prospective buyer, but I have a weakness for good optics.

Thanks guys! I'm now getting a fleet of telescopes!!

and its getting harder to get the wife to sign off on a new one :rolleyes2:

But I have a new plan :evil62:

:grin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, jetstream said:

Originally the laser dot was off about 5/16" in one direction and about 3/16" in the other

Excuse me for what may seem a trivial question, but how do you mark the centre point of the objective?

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

That's great news Gerry, and perhaps a lesson for us all not to automatically condemn the optics when images lack lustre. 

I don't suppose there's a TSA 120 going cheap anytime soon is there? :laugh2:

I sure hope not... I'm not telling my wife that its working so well thats for sure!:grin:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, dweller25 said:

Oh go on then …..

Whats the new plan ? 🤣

Well seeing as I have 2 great 120mm's now one for rapdly dropping temps and the other for more stable temps I figure I need an oil spaced 160mm triplet to fit in between the 120mm and 250mm range :grin:

ie a TEC 160 :hiding:

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Excuse me for what may seem a trivial question, but how do you mark the centre point of the objective?

I just left the lens cap on, but took the small little section off and used that as a guide. I taped paper over this and then used calipers.

Heres the deal- the calipers said I was off about 20thou but the cheshire said I was right on, so I left it.

You could always cut out a circle of paper the same size as the dew shield fold it twice and mark the center. Tape this over the front and get the laser dot on it. The cheshire will then give you the real story from the back. I was lucky the lenses were lined up with eachother... really lucky.

I always like to confirm anything with at least 2 tools, just me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jetstream said:

Well seeing as I have 2 great 120mm's now one for rapdly dropping temps and the other for more stable temps I figure I need an oil spaced 160mm triplet to fit in between the 120mm and 250mm range :grin:

ie a TEC 160 :hiding:

(120+250)/2=185mm 😈😂……. Like this…..

https://www.telescopengineering.com/telescope/apo180fl-f-7/

it’s only $19,000 and It’s Fluorite 👍

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I wonder why TEC won’t release the test reports of their optics. They must have their reasons.

Many premium scope makers seem have taken the same decision. I think it is to stop buyers "cherry picking" if theirs turns out to have a strehl / PV / RMS that is fractionally lower than another example.