Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Thinking about changing my 8” Celestron for a larger aperture Dob.

Hi Moonshed,

These were on show at the Practical Astronomy Show at Kettering earlier this month. I'm not sure how practical such a trolley would be in practice, or if I'd want to pay so much for one, but its an option at least. Also, would it really protect your back?

5F4922D9-F37C-4679-908D-8D334E34E649.thumb.jpeg.aef0ffd83e136892f48d842a86e944f1.jpeg.a6ebc0015275c432d210ecd011db422e.jpeg

Then you also mentioned that you keep your scope in a shed. If the shed is just for your scope and astro gear, perhaps having the shed, or at least part of the shed, roll away rather than carrying the telescope could be an option. It might make for a more comfortable observing experience if low walls surrounded you and your shed became an observatory that's clean and dry?  You would however need to wear a smoking jacket and a Fez or similar silly hat while observing. 

• Like 2

If you have back problems do take care when considering a 12 inch dobsonian. If you could see one "in the flesh" that would be very helpful I think.

I used to have a 12 inch Meade Lightbridge which was a similar size and weight to the 12 inch Skywatcher and Stellalyra. I had some mild back issues at that time and found the weight of the 12 inch Meade just too much so it did not get used after a surge of initial enthusiasm. I later managed to get a 12 inch dob based on the Orion Optics optics and tube with a custom made plywood mount and that weighed much less and therefore got used a lot more.

12 inches of aperture is very potent but not if the whole thing proves hard to manage. 

If you have all this covered then that's great and I'm sure you will love the views 🙂

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Hi Moonshed,

These were on show at the Practical Astronomy Show at Kettering earlier this month. I'm not sure how practical such a trolley would be in practice, or if I'd want to pay so much for one, but its an option at least. Also, would it really protect your back?

5F4922D9-F37C-4679-908D-8D334E34E649.thumb.jpeg.aef0ffd83e136892f48d842a86e944f1.jpeg.a6ebc0015275c432d210ecd011db422e.jpeg

Then you also mentioned that you keep your scope in a shed. If the shed is just for your scope and astro gear, perhaps having the shed, or at least part of the shed, roll away rather than carrying the telescope could be an option. It might make for a more comfortable observing experience if low walls surrounded you and your shed became an observatory that's clean and dry?  You would however need to wear a smoking jacket and a Fez or similar silly hat while observing. 

Those carts are pretty slick.  They actually work very well and seem to roll well over most types of terrain. 

I saw the Tuff Truks at Kettering. I thought them very well built, and well thought out.👍
The frames are welded heavy gauge mild steel, powder coated. Most (if not all) the fixings are stainless.
These people will customise the truks for you. They had a couple with modifcations from standard.

The only cheapie bit was the tyres/wheels. Just like those on my garden cart.
But I know from experience when they degrade after a few years, they are cheap to replace.
Having said this, the garden cart gets left out in rain to wreck wheels and sun to degrade tyres.
So unless you choose to abuse the scope by leaving it out, the tyres and wheels will last for many years😁

For a short time I owned a JMI trolley. From memory of a few years back I would say the Tuf Truk is as good or better.

I have a 12" dob and wheels of some sort are in my view a must have. Whether trolley, sack truck construction or something else.
Currently the dob is on a home build base. An old desk top and castors. It was a quick build at zero cost as I already had the materials.
Fine for smooth concrete but no good to wheel over grass.

HTH, David.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just returning to the EQ platform a moment, that Asterion on FLO is the one I have and it's very good. Unfortunately, if you look, you'll see it's unavailable. There's a reason for this: they were hand made in the Ukraine......so not available now and who knows, maybe never again.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Froeng said:

please bear in mind you may need new (better corrected) eyepieces and possibly a coma corrector to make use of the likely faster f-ratio. This could add a significant cost element…

So what are you saying? That I’ve got rubbish eyepieces? Men have died for saying less!!! Pistols at dawn!

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Wow, mobility scooters for telescopes, whatever next?😊 Thanks for the info but I think I will go with the sack trolley, it’s only £70.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

It is something I have considered but decided against it. With the Dob being relatively easy to move on the sack trolley it will not be necessary now anyway.  Totally agree with your comments about the smoking jacket and a Fez, essential clothing. If you could see me wrapped up for a long observing session when the mercury is reading -5C or worse you would wonder if I were some form of alien monster prowling around the back garden!

52 minutes ago, John said:

12 inches of aperture is very potent but not if the whole thing proves hard to manage. 

If you have all this covered then that's great and I'm sure you will love the views 🙂

I’m sure that I will be able to manage moving the Dob, after all I do currently manually lift out my Celestron on the mount in one go, and that is really heavy. As for the views……can’t wait!

39 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

I have a 12" dob and wheels of some sort are in my view a must have. Whether trolley, sack truck construction or something else.

Yes, this does seem to be a point everyone is agreed on, so it’s a sack trolley for me, that will suit me well. Thanks for all the info.

Well, good luck with it, MS: I think you're going to love the views! But if you have a back problem, do think seriously about exactly how you're going to deploy it. Something like this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/neo-heavy-duty-folding-platform-trolley/5056293904193_BQ.prd

Lockable castors would be good and then you could view from the platform. No hoisting the scope on and off.

1 minute ago, cajen2 said:

Well, good luck with it, MS: I think you're going to love the views! But if you have a back problem, do think seriously about exactly how you're going to deploy it. Something like this:

https://www.diy.com/departments/neo-heavy-duty-folding-platform-trolley/5056293904193_BQ.prd

Lockable castors would be good and then you could view from the platform. No hoisting the scope on and off.

Those will work as long as the handle can get out of the way.  

1 minute ago, Mike Q said:

Those will work as long as the handle can get out of the way.  

Sure. I assume it will as it's 'folding'. I don't mean to recommend that particular one but just a folding platform trolley with lockable castors. I'm sure you could retrofit the locking ones if you can't find a suitable one.

Ref the B&Q trolley. Not recommended.
We use this type at work. They all come from China with different badges.
The handle folds down onto the base. so modification needed to free a dob.
There two fixed, and two swivel castors. Not good for a restricted space.
The narrow wheels and solid tyres are fine on smooth hard surfaces only.
The base is made two steel sheets pressed together. It would be difficult to add jacking/levelling screws etc. without adding a base plate.

Sorry to pour water on the enthusiasm of anyone who may be thinking of buying this product.
If you want to carry some boxes. Or shift a heavy item they are fine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Yes, that looks interesting but I don’t have the room in my Moonshed to store it, so it would mean lifting the Dob on and off, whereas with the sack trolley it should be relatively easy to tilt the Dob enough to push the toe underneath it. Thanks for the info though, I’m surprised at the various methods there are of transporting a heavy Dob.

2 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Sorry to pour water on the enthusiasm of anyone who may be thinking of buying this product.
If you want to carry some boxes. Or shift a heavy item they are fine.

Thank you for that information, it has confirmed my feeling that I will stick with the sack trolley.

13 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I move my 12” Stella Lyra dobsonian the same way as @Ratlet. My sack trolley with a fold down toe slips under the base (after fitting longer rubber feet) and is relatively easy enough to wheel in and out of the house fully assembled. I secure it to the frame of the trolley with elasticated cords. Pneumatic wheels are a big help in buffering bumps and vibrations.

Could you please tell me the size of the sack trolley you are using, hate to get one that was too small for the 12” Dob.

Cheers

Keith

When you get the scope just measure the gap between the feet on the bottom.  That will get you your max width.  Then find one with as long of platform as you can find.  Add a couple tie down straps and you are good to go.  

As to different methods of moving big dobs around.  Here is the one i made for my 200 pound XX16G.  I pull it around with my lawn mower or i can move it by hand, either way works well. 

IMG_20230219_152900739.jpg

16 minutes ago, Mike Q said:

When you get the scope just measure the gap between the feet on the bottom.  That will get you your max width.  Then find one with as long of platform as you can find.  Add a couple tie down straps and you are good to go.  

As to different methods of moving big dobs around.  Here is the one i made for my 200 pound XX16G.  I pull it around with my lawn mower or i can move it by hand, either way works well. 

IMG_20230219_152900739.jpg

That is a big beast! Love your DIY transport method.

@Moonshed

I really like Dobsonians as they give great performance for very little money BUT I do not own one anymore……

I have a bad back and found the weight of the Skywatcher 10” Dob and it’s base made it worse.

I also found my back was very uncomfortable with the viewing positions you get with a Newtonian.

I should say that it was incredibly sharp and gave really detailed views of the planets but sadly I was forced to sell it.

One of the great plus points of an SCT is the viewing comfort.

Something to consider perhaps.

Edited by dweller25
  • Like 2

I would always factor in an adjustable-height observing chair. Because only the height of the eyepiece changes as you use a dob, an observing chair makes it possible to achieve the perfect viewing position without putting strain on your back. I use a Berlebach Charon (excellent but expensive), which has to be one of my best-ever astro purchases 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cajen2 said:

I would always factor in an adjustable-height observing chair. Because only the height of the eyepiece changes as you use a dob, an observing chair makes it possible to achieve the perfect viewing position without putting strain on your back. I use a Berlebach Charon (excellent but expensive), which has to be one of my best-ever astro purchases 

Thank you, you raise a valid point. When observing with my SCT I use a swivel typist chair that works okay in some positions but not in others. It clearly won’t be much use with a dob, that’s for sure. Its main use is while I am sitting at the bench using the laptop for images.

Edited by Moonshed

9 hours ago, Moonshed said:

So what are you saying? That I’ve got rubbish eyepieces? Men have died for saying less!!! Pistols at dawn!

I did not say that!  👻

I am just speaking from my own experience. I, too have been using my mid-80s C8 from new and I have a case full of Vixen LVs, which I love. They are brilliant on a tracking f/10 scope, but in a Dobsonian? You will need wide field AND good compatibility with fast f-ratio. I would think some nice TV Ethos or Delos eyepiece should do the trick..! 😎

I don’t know if you would need a Paracorr at f/5, but you may need to plan for it…

• Like 1