Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light on a barely-used Takahashi FC-100 DC

Ok, the dewshield can be unscrewed, thanks all. But that leads me to another question: if you transport it with the DS off, how do you protect the objective? The end cap would now be too wide, no?

• Like 2

Mark, you must be telepathic! I'm currently considering getting a 4" frac (and of course a Tak enters the equation 😉) on a go-to alt/az mount - strictly visual only -  and I fancied a Berlebach tripod. Is your setup with the AZ GTi etc stable and vibration free?

Edited by cajen2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

Ok, the dewshield can be unscrewed, thanks all. But that leads me to another question: if you transport it with the DS off, how do you protect the objective? The end cap would now be too wide, no?

@cajen2 - you put a little hat on it.  This is a neoprene Lens Hoodie from Wex.   https://www.wexphotovideo.com/lenscoat-hoodie-lens-cap-medium-black-1019928/

Obviously that is somewhat soft, so if I was packing say for carry on I would put the main lenscap over the top, its a loose fit but would further protect the end if snug in a flight case/camera bag etc. 

6DB8A57F-610B-4CED-AC2E-13BEA9D62EC7.jpeg

39C1700B-14FA-424D-A132-8A835D9C0ED0.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, cajen2 said:

Is your setup with the AZ GTi etc stable and vibration free?

Based on a couple of hours I'd say yes I am very happy with it.  I've a couple of ADM parts that are helping matters. 

A replacement for the original SW clamp https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-replacement-saddles/adm-dual-dovetail-adaptor-for-az-gti.html

& the dedicated ADM Tak Clamshell-Vixen plate https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adm-vixen-type-v-series/adm-vixen-type-dovetail-bar-for-takahashi-7.html

Together its all pretty solid and as vibration free as anything I've run on the AZGTi - at high mag there is a tiny bit of vibration when you focus etc but damps down I'd say in less than a second. No vibration visible when using tracking even at high power.  I am sure there are heavier mounts that are even steadier but I haven't noticed it as a problem other than on windy nights with an 80mm f15 'frac on board - still ok from a weight perspective but you do start to notice the moment effect with the longer tube. 

Didn't see this at all with the f7.4 100 DC. It's also really lightweight. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 07/03/2023 at 04:15, SuburbanMak said:

"I say, that's a splendid view!"

Thank you for writing this wonderful report. I’m reading this in a coffee shop and laughed out loud at your exclamation! I remember that feeling with my FC76-DCU the first time I saw the moon with it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

~

Nice report, and welcome to the "DC" chapter of the TAK club. Your enthusiasm mirrors the experience of many first-time owners, myself included.

The TAK finder quality notwithstanding, your photo of straight-through finder usage is why I had to change out mine to a generic RACI,  just can't contort like that, anymore.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@SuburbanMak thank you.Wonderful first light report and you struck rather a few familiar notes with myself.

I bought myself an FC100DF for Christmas and my first view was Jupiter, Mars some double stars and a bit of star testing. I was completely blown away then and it was a less than ideal night.

I've observed the moon since on several occasions and I believe that the Tak does have a propensity to warp time as I too have been out for half an hour only to have the boss correct me that I've actually been out two and a half hours. Yes I'm, like you completely blown away by my little Tak.

I too love the aesthetics of the scope, I keep opening the case in the garage and having an adoring look at it. It is truly beautiful, so gratifying to own and a dream to use.

@mikeDnight recommended the Tak finder handle trick to me too and it really is an excellent idea if you can make use of it. It gives you a good grip on the scope when mounting and more importantly I find, when de-mounting

Anyway I do hope you continue to enjoy your new scope and I'm fairly confident that it will become your most used scope too.

All the very best and clear skies.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1