NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dabbling but at some point want to invest talk me through it

Moon-Monkey

Ok guys and gals I’ve been doing white light for a fair time now using BAADER film now my next stage is probably to invest in a lacerta wedge but have questions about that too … will a wedge provide noticeable image improvement over the film or is it just the safety aspect that is better ? After that I’m going to jump into H alpha but unsure which way to go . At this point just to note I’m visual only and no intent to complicate things with cameras etc so that’s a factor . I have various scopes from 80mm F5 to 90mm F11 and an 8” Dob so I have seen that some companies provide ERF filters to spec of your scope assuming you still then need a blocking filter which one which size and what visually are the differences ? Sorry lots of questions I know but for me this is a once in a lifetime investment do I mick something up with custom filters on my ST80 , do I just get a PST or a lunt 40 ? Obviously there is price difference in all of those and my budget is certainly the  limiting factor it’s hard to find good info I have read lots of threads in here but was hoping someone had been in my position before and can offer some real life experience here 

clear skies guys and gals 🙂🔭🔭

I'm in a similar situation, don't really want to spend over £1k so it's a toss up between PST, Lunt40, Solarscout or Quark. There is the used market of course but for Ha solar, I'm thinking safety, safety, safety!

As regards the white light question, I've used glass and film solar filters before and they're very good but as soon as I got a Lunt solar wedge and continuum filter I could see a difference straight away, much more contrast and detail visible. Seeing conditions also play a part and observing the Sun before noon can help. Your 90mm f/11 sounds perfect for solar.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Franklin said:

I'm in a similar situation, don't really want to spend over £1k so it's a toss up between PST, Lunt40, Solarscout or Quark. There is the used market of course but for Ha solar, I'm thinking safety, safety, safety!

As regards the white light question, I've used glass and film solar filters before and they're very good but as soon as I got a Lunt solar wedge and continuum filter I could see a difference straight away, much more contrast and detail visible. Seeing conditions also play a part and observing the Sun before noon can help. Your 90mm f/11 sounds perfect for solar.

Totally agree safety for me is paramount I observe with film and a continuum filter and get pretty good detail but as you say I’m assuming a wedge will be next level well at least I’m hoping so 🙂 I haven’t considered a quark just because of the electronic aspect and as a solar observer I don’t wnat to rely on anything electronic in my observing more things to go wrong or die IMO but hey I always follow the KISS principle 🙂🙂🙂🔭

On 27/02/2023 at 12:58, Franklin said:

Totally agree safety for me is paramount I observe with film and a continuum filter and get pretty good detail but as you say I’m assuming a wedge will be next level well at least I’m hoping so 🙂 I haven’t considered a quark just because of the electronic aspect and as a solar observer I don’t wnat to rely on anything electronic in my observing more things to go wrong or die IMO but hey I always follow the KISS principle 🙂🙂🙂🔭

@Carbon Brush

hey David ,

many thanks for the reply and the links I have gone through all of them now at a leisurely pace and while there is some amazing info in there on H-a nobody that I’ve read yet seems to do a direct comparison of solar film and a wedge (particularly interested in the Lacerta with the Brewster angle) 

I have emailed a company in Jersey I think it was a week ago , haven’t had any acknowledgment of my email or a reply as yet that I’ve seen and customer service is high on my priorities.

especially with a purchase and lightening of my wallet to such an extent lol I’m still undecided I ultimately want a tein setup with a white light and H-a together to give the best views so perhaps after all the help you and others have given and the information I’ve gleaned through the threads that you have linked me too I should go for a wedge and then when money allows an H-a be it a lunt or a PST 🙂🙂

clear skies my friend 

The consensus among users seems to be the wedge is better than front film or filter.
Or we all convince ourselves it is better because we don't want to admit to wasting our money🤔

To give a definitive answer on film vs wedge, you would have to read a report from someone you trusted, using the same scope, same eyepiece, same day.

I could do this test if I tried. I have an 80mm refractor that I use with a Herschel wedge. I also have a film to fit this scope.
But this is still not going to silence all arguments or uncertainties.
Your film is a cheap one. Not a 'Solperfect' branded type. In my case the film masks a bit of the objective.
You used a Brewster angle Lacerta wedge - what about a Lunt/Baader 90 deg wedge? Was it a 1.25" or 2" wedge?
The Brewter angle wedge emits strongly polarised light, which affects the view. So the film test is only valid if you add a polarising filter with a 90 deg wedge. Also quality of added polarising filter?
If in the film test, you had a 90deg prism, was it made from as good glass as the solar wedge?

Intuitively a decent quality prism has to be better than a wrinkly film on the front. But wrinkly films are surprisingly good!
A 200mm (or whatever your scope size) glass front filter can be more expensive than a 1.25" Lacerta wedge.
How flat is this big piece of glass?

A sheet (A4 size) of Baader film is twenty something quid. Enough to make some scope and binocular objective covers.
Just use some stiff card, glue and sellotape to make frames in Blue Peter style! It gets you started.

Sorry no easy answers.

David.

• Like 1

I've thought about a wedge in the past but white light is white light, you might see a bit more detail or granulation depending on the scope it's attached to, but it's still white light if you've already used a solar film. Going the HA route will open your eyes to what you're missing, just take a look at the gong HA website, its more fascinating when you see such features changing in real time.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elp said:

I've thought about a wedge in the past but white light is white light, you might see a bit more detail or granulation depending on the scope it's attached to, but it's still white light if you've already used a solar film. Going the HA route will open your eyes to what you're missing, just take a look at the gong HA website, its more fascinating when you see such features changing in real time.

Ahh, see that’s where I would disagree. The white light views with a wedge and a good scope can be jaw dropping when the seeing is good. It’s not just seeing ‘a bit more granulation’, when the skies permit, you can use high power (x200) and really see those granulation cells start to open up. Concentrate for ten to fifteen minutes and you will see them change. 

If you are struggling to sleep, have a read of this post I made some time back about the joys of White Light observing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My main reason for swapping from solar film to a Herschel wedge was safety. No more checking for pin holes or micro tears and no worry of anything slipping off.

I have to say, when I did make the swap over, in my opinion, the views were much sharper, brighter and with better contrast in the wedge compared to the film. Adding the Baader solar continuum filter improved the contrast even more.

I am thinking a lot about adding a Ha scope to the collection, but it’s very expensive for a niche scope and from what I can gather there seems to be a fair big issue with QC in general with a lot of the kit at the cheaper end.

• Like 1

On 04/03/2023 at 23:05, IB20 said:

My main reason for swapping from solar film to a Herschel wedge was safety. No more checking for pin holes or micro tears and no worry of anything slipping off.

Agreed! :icon_salut:

My glass full aperture solar filter has a few pin-pricks and I do not use it any more.

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG  IMG_0692.thumb.JPG.8185497bc7ec3efefd32e253c47ff0ae.JPG

My TeleVue Ranger [left] and a half-binocular [right] with a Lunt Herschel/solar wedge.

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ok so this is months later and I saved and ordered the Lacerta wedge … only thing I’m going to say is this holy smoke !!!! The difference is outstanding .

not only do I see far more details the granulation the faculae and the fibrils in the penumbra but because it has this Brewster angle and has infinite light level adjustability I can concentrate on a specific target more and hone in on the details as @Stu said above I can also run more power and get blown up views compared to before all in all an amzing purchase that I cannot sing the praises of enough anyone reading this in any doubt the difference is night and day (excuse the pun) and for those who have doubts I tried them back to back same Continuum filter same apeture same eyepiece and there really is no comparison I was using proper BAADER ND5.0 visual film and until I got this wedge I really worried that I was making a mistake and the “slight detail gain” wouldn’t be worth it  oh how I was wrong going back and forth with film and wedge back to back it’s apparent that I made the right decision lol and that’s an understatement 🤣🤣🤣 Thabkyou for your help everyone imma happy bunny !!!!!!! 
1E9DDC7A-23B3-4DE7-8A0B-F068A42B95AC.thumb.jpeg.6465b64dc00a3476c75b150f04908e39.jpeg5FD4688E-694F-49D5-A4B5-B5F89EB57F1E.thumb.jpeg.92ab4aa256bdffa3f63386b0fbc0b85f.jpeg

• Like 7