Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Pegasus Astro Pocket Powerbox Advance (PPBADV) or ASIAir Plus?

Star Gazer

I am aware that these two boxes are not exactly thing, but in terms of cable/power managment they do have some similarities.  Obviously the ASIAir does a lot more than the PPBADV, but only if you have a DSLR or a ZWO camera.

Anyway at the moment I am very happy performing image acquisition using NINA and a MeLe PC mounted on the scope. I control the PC using VNC on a iPad, however my cables are a nightmare and something needs to be done.

I've looked at many options, including DC Hub 2, and the WondererBox plus, but none of them are obviously appealing for one reason or another.

Am I missing something here but I think I am going to go with the ASIAir Plus, even though I will not be using it for 90% of its functionality. In short I will use it mainly for its power distribution functions. In some ways the PPBADV looks like the obvious choice, but it is quite expensive compared with the ASIAir, and since I have an ZWO camera, but not a ZWO guide camera, I would have an upgrade path if I fall out with NINA.

So my idea is to power the mount, camera, dew heater and PC from the ASIAir, and then use it as a USB hub for the data for the main and guide cameras as well as connection to the focuser.

Do you think this is a ridiculous idea? Have I overlooked something?

The Advance is cheaper, it has dew heater control as well as variable power output if needed. Once configured you don't need any software running if you'd prefer and the whole lot can be managed and integrated into NINA.

It's what I'd do, and I did although I never did want an ASIAIR to be fair.

It depends on how ambitious you are getting into astro imaging. The AsiAir is great for the new to imaging on a limited budget for hardware (mounts, cameras, filters etc) and provides a reasonable interface for polar aligning, guiding and capturing.  I would say it has a limited level of expansion for the really serious imagers and lacks the many options that NINA can provide.

What irks me a little is the bad advice given by users who have low power equipment saying it will power mounts and cooled cameras with dew heaters etc just because their setup works. Others plainly say you must run the mount off it's own power and likewise the cooled cameras.  It really is as simple as checking if the power requirements of your equipment will be handled by the AsiAir or whether you need more than it can handle.

A bit puzzled by the comment you'd not be using 90% of the AsiAir, more likely you will be using most of it.  You can't use it just as a usb hub & power centre and still use NINA, if that was your desire, as the usb ports are only accessible to the AsiAir.  It's meant to be used instead of a PC.

I think it is be possible today to use a small computer as a remote host and access the devices (mounts, cameras etc) it connects to over a network using Ascom/Alpaca but that's an area I've not dipped into yet and not sure the Asiair software would play along.

Should you need any clarification just ask. I'd hate to scare you off the Asiair if that would suit you better. But equally would not want you to waste money on one if a Powerhub, with USB hub, is all you really need.

Steve

Thanks Steve

The reason I say I wouldn't be using 90% of the ASIAir is because I will be using NINA on my MeLe Q3 PC. So on the ASIAir I wouldn't be using the polar alignment, the guiding, the image capture, what's on tonight etc. etc. All I want the ASIAir is for the power it might provide, but I think you are  changing my mind on that front. I realise that the ASIAir is really a one-step solution and a closed one at that, but I thought it might be a good option for running a lightweight setup, as well as largely hassle free one at that, or at least that's how it comes across to me.

I think NINA is awesome and despite its sophistication is pretty easy to use, so I will stick with NINA unless the ASIAir suddenly ups its game.

BTW whatever product I buy it will need to power:

Rainbow Astro RST-135E

ZWO ASI2600 MC

ZWO EAF

Lodestar X2 guide cam

MeLe Q3 PC

Tim

Having used both the ASI Air and PPBA, I'd recommend the latter. The ASI Air will not be able to control the guide camera so you would need to purchase a ZWO guide camera. The ASI Air Pro retails for £330 at RVO whilst the PPBA retails for £259 at the same store, so the Pegasus option is cheaper. Are you sure you weren't looking at the Pegasus Ultimate which retails for £519?

Powering your mount via these devices is usually not advised depending on the mount. For example, my EQ6-R mount can be powered via 12V but if the voltage drops a little bit, then the slewing speed slows down or the mount just stops working. So having a dedicated power supply for the mount is the preferred option and it's what I've always done. Is your Rainbow mount picky with voltage? 

Regarding cable management, the best way to combat this is to replace the cables with good quality ones of appropriate length. I use Lindy Cromo USB cables and made to length 12V DC cables & dew heater straps from https://www.dewcontrol.com/

I've included some images below of my Redcat and FLT120 setups utilizing the PPBA and the cables I mentioned above, to give you an idea. 

DSC_0098_copy_3628x2721.thumb.jpg.e2a34f00f96dbe22ca48ed592d55751d.jpg

DSC_0099_copy_3628x2721.thumb.jpg.9540d5b56836877deeedffba3fdc4834.jpg

20221008_085452_copy_2721x3628.thumb.jpg.55f539e5727bd3bd6da5d59bf3df7894.jpg

DSC_1806_copy_2721x3628.thumb.jpg.d0501e5fc43bb7f9db5066814f8e1147.jpg

• Like 2

I note in your initial post that you would look to use the asiair as a usb hub, didn't know it could do that, so it would be worth making sure if you decide to go that way. 

If you are looking for something that just tidies power and usb cables, how about a simple usb hub into your local pc and a junction box for your power? I've started playing with an asiair as it seems to cover all i currently do, but I don't use it for the12v supplies. I have cut off the cigarette lighter plugs or whatever, shortened and reterminated the cable and just use a small set quick release connectors. Food for thought hopefully, options are always good. All the best. Screenshot_20230226_095722_OneDrive3.thumb.jpg.661c1ad32df3daa3fb40c13b30355e43.jpg

7 hours ago, Richard_ said:

Having used both the ASI Air and PPBA, I'd recommend the latter. The ASI Air will not be able to control the guide camera so you would need to purchase a ZWO guide camera. The ASI Air Pro retails for £330 at RVO whilst the PPBA retails for £259 at the same store, so the Pegasus option is cheaper. Are you sure you weren't looking at the Pegasus Ultimate which retails for £519?

Powering your mount via these devices is usually not advised depending on the mount. For example, my EQ6-R mount can be powered via 12V but if the voltage drops a little bit, then the slewing speed slows down or the mount just stops working. So having a dedicated power supply for the mount is the preferred option and it's what I've always done. Is your Rainbow mount picky with voltage? 

Regarding cable management, the best way to combat this is to replace the cables with good quality ones of appropriate length. I use Lindy Cromo USB cables and made to length 12V DC cables & dew heater straps from https://www.dewcontrol.com/

I've included some images below of my Redcat and FLT120 setups utilizing the PPBA and the cables I mentioned above, to give you an idea. 

Thanks Richard.. I do intend to get some cables of the right length when I get a better idea of how to organise everything after I settle on the right power box. Can I ask where you get your cables made to length with the right connectors?  

Everyone is opening my eyes to the PPBADV, so I think I will go this route. There is the WondererBox Lite V2 https://artesky.it/it/wanderer-astro/power-data-distribution/5987-wanderer-box-lite-v2-8052278161459.html, that is supported by NINA but I think the PPBADV looks like it is better supported.

BTW you have some lovey bits of kit there

7 hours ago, M40 said:

I note in your initial post that you would look to use the asiair as a usb hub, didn't know it could do that, so it would be worth making sure if you decide to go that way. 

If you are looking for something that just tidies power and usb cables, how about a simple usb hub into your local pc and a junction box for your power? I've started playing with an asiair as it seems to cover all i currently do, but I don't use it for the12v supplies. I have cut off the cigarette lighter plugs or whatever, shortened and reterminated the cable and just use a small set quick release connectors. Food for thought hopefully, options are always good. All the best. 

Thanks M40. You might be right that the ASIAir cannot act as a usb hub, I just assumed it would do that.  yep there are lots of options out there, but not that many power box solutions like the PPBADV. I'm looking for this box to manage all of the highttime consumers (including the mount, dew heater, cameras and the PC and anything else that might come along like a flat panel). Anyway looks like the PPBADV will be my next purchase..

I got the pegasus power box advance, It's been great at keeping my kit going. My only wish was that it'd have more USB ports instead of the 4 wide 12V sockets. One more USB would let me plug the mount into it, meaning only one cable going from laptop to telescope.

I didn't get to test if it powered my HEQ5 properly as I abandoned last night's session. But given as when the accessories are all powered up, dew heaters at 90% each, main cam using TEC cooling to 0c, and mount on standby only used about 1.5A of the 3A my power supply could provide... I think it would have worked? Maybe slewing would send it over the edge though...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Star Gazer said:

Thanks Richard.. I do intend to get some cables of the right length when I get a better idea of how to organise everything after I settle on the right power box. Can I ask where you get your cables made to length with the right connectors?  

Everyone is opening my eyes to the PPBADV, so I think I will go this route. There is the WondererBox Lite V2 https://artesky.it/it/wanderer-astro/power-data-distribution/5987-wanderer-box-lite-v2-8052278161459.html, that is supported by NINA but I think the PPBADV looks like it is better supported.

BTW you have some lovey bits of kit there

Thanks! 

If you follow the below link, it should take you to the power cable section on Dew Control. Here, you can choose connector type on each end (eg 2.1mm DC, cigarette plug) to suit your needs. I don't believe they have USB cables, so these are just for power. You can choose a preset length from the drop down menu or enter a custom length as a note during your order. Before buying these cables, I set my telescope with PPBA and mini pc as I wanted, then measured the required cable length using a tape measure with a little bit of extra slack, same thing for the dew heater cable lengths. 

https://www.dewcontrol.com/Power_Cables_-_All_Types/p3099125_13437763.aspx

The Lindy cromo USB cables (shown with silver USB plugs in the pictures) were sourced from FLO and are available in 0.5m, 1m and 2m lengths. Most of the ones shown are 0.5m in length but there are two 0.25m cables on the Redcat setup which are just a generic brand from Amazon. 

Remember that you have a USB hub on the back of the ASI2600MC, so if you run out of ports on the USB hub you can always plug your EAF into that! 

1 hour ago, Richard_ said:

Thanks! 

If you follow the below link, it should take you to the power cable section on Dew Control. Here, you can choose connector type on each end (eg 2.1mm DC, cigarette plug) to suit your needs. I don't believe they have USB cables, so these are just for power. You can choose a preset length from the drop down menu or enter a custom length as a note during your order. Before buying these cables, I set my telescope with PPBA and mini pc as I wanted, then measured the required cable length using a tape measure with a little bit of extra slack, same thing for the dew heater cable lengths. 

https://www.dewcontrol.com/Power_Cables_-_All_Types/p3099125_13437763.aspx

The Lindy cromo USB cables (shown with silver USB plugs in the pictures) were sourced from FLO and are available in 0.5m, 1m and 2m lengths. Most of the ones shown are 0.5m in length but there are two 0.25m cables on the Redcat setup which are just a generic brand from Amazon. 

Remember that you have a USB hub on the back of the ASI2600MC, so if you run out of ports on the USB hub you can always plug your EAF into that! 

Awesome info there Richard! Many thanks for you detailed post..

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry that I am late to this discussion. I am currently doing exactly what the OP is contemplating. I am using the ASIAir Pro just for the USB hub and the power output. I used to use it for everything but with my 10Micron mount I use a PC for NINA to run the mount but I still needed something to power my dew heaters, flat box etc so I have kept the ASI on the OTA and keep an ethernet connection to it. The more I move away from the ASIAir the more I appreciate what stunning value and ease of use it provides.

1 hour ago, Lumos said:

Sorry that I am late to this discussion. I am currently doing exactly what the OP is contemplating. I am using the ASIAir Pro just for the USB hub and the power output. I used to use it for everything but with my 10Micron mount I use a PC for NINA to run the mount but I still needed something to power my dew heaters, flat box etc so I have kept the ASI on the OTA and keep an ethernet connection to it. The more I move away from the ASIAir the more I appreciate what stunning value and ease of use it provides.

As a power extension, be that the 12v outputs or using the USB ports for power, it will work. But it is not a USB hub (as far as I am aware) so any data devices would not be seen by another computer other than the AsiAir.

What do you use the ethernet for, and are you using the Asiair app to control the power ports?