Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Comet 30th January 2023

My PC didn’t like processing 411 20 second subs but I’ve finally finished it. Taken with my 2600MC pro and baby Tak at zero gain, processed in Pixinsight. The framing’s not that good because I thought my camera was up the other way and I had intended to allow plenty of room for the comet to move. 🙄

The 2nd Image shows the Comet path to the right and how far it moved over the Sky over the 2.25 hours of imaging. I'm showing the comet before it moved to the right.

31C59888-DE23-4961-A454-6DC289BBFBD7.thumb.png.5fe607bdf0a98bd1e31211873bd50aaa.png

42499099-EBC1-4328-A038-5DEA472389AA.thumb.png.7654b99ba063b408f424c486dfe7db60.png

B8B23CB7-7310-4E36-9BAB-E43F5C8A78C9.thumb.png.3a46ae03c78ca60da2c5791410d8ad86.png

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I managed to get out last night and got one three minute shot with my dslr and kit lense. 
Going out tonight to image it with the 150 pds, any tips?

Marv975D4312-AA75-4544-9841-F7037E6A2032.thumb.jpeg.4b1c9376f25356b993236f0fbbefa38d.jpeg

Any tips, not sure I’m qualified to give tips but thanks for the compliment. 😀

It’s further away than when I imaged and after looking at its movement on Sky Safari tonight it doesn’t seem to be moving across the sky so much relative to the tracked stars so you can probably get away with longer subs than me, from that regard? 

• Thanks 1

A nice image there Marvin, and interesting to see the comet next to NGC 1647 - a quick look at Wikipedia shows it's a relatively young Open Cluster with many hot bright stars, but that is significantly reddened because it's behind the Taurus Dark Cloud complex.  

For some reason Stellarium calls it the "Pirate Moon Cluster", I don't know why - I sometimes wish we didn't have these arbitrary names for things. 

Edited by Gfamily

7 hours ago, Gfamily said:

A nice image there Marvin, and interesting to see the comet next to NGC 1647 - a quick look at Wikipedia shows it's a relatively young Open Cluster with many hot bright stars, but that is significantly reddened because it's behind the Taurus Dark Cloud complex.  

For some reason Stellarium calls it the "Pirate Moon Cluster", I don't know why - I sometimes wish we didn't have these arbitrary names for things. 

You and Marvin have inspired me to have another go, I think I should be able to get the comet & NGC 1647 in the same fov as well.

The open cluster sure is a great companion to ZTF. 
To be honest I didn’t know it was there until I looked at the display on the back of the dslr.

I must try harder at observing. My star chart clearly shows it as something special. Gfamily, thank you for the compliment but #Scooot image is what I would like to produce.

Yeh, I don’t like all those stupid names for clusters. Call me a geek all day long but much prefer NGC classifications.

Marv

1 hour ago, Scooot said:

You and Marvin have inspired me to have another go, I think I should be able to get the comet & NGC 1647 in the same fov as well.

Well I am clouded out here despite the forecast saying clear. 
Please do get out and give it another go. I would love to see the results.

Marv

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Well I am clouded out here despite the forecast saying clear. 
Please do get out and give it another go. I would love to see the results.

Marv

I’m imaging as we speak, got about 50 one minute subs so far. This is a screenshot of the last sub from Asiair.

8C3F6906-34F6-4013-B0D8-8CEE5A7112EF.thumb.png.dbbc8eed7117ae87e3fbf28f99f6bc40.png

Edited by Scooot

20 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

I did wonder about that. You are clearly way ahead of me in AP.

I tell a lie, some of that is cloud, a bank of it had started to move over 🙄 clear again now for a bit.

Edited by Scooot
  • Like 1