Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anybody tried mounting a C11 tube on an HEQ5 PRO.

zenofrag

Hello,

I am wondering how well a C11 optical tube in carbon fibre would work with the HEQ5 pro mounting and tripod ? The mounting is rated up to 40 lbs, so in theory this should work well ?

Any oppinions from users of this mount would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Patrick :)

Celestron used to sell the C11 on the CG5, which is rated less than the HEQ5, so I'd guess it would be fine on the HEQ5 for a least visual work.

I use my C9.25 on my EQ5 (CG5) now and then. I'd say it's pretty much at the upper limit with that OTA. With the HEQ5 being slightly beefier, It too would likely be at the upper limit with a C11. Don't be taken in with the maximum weight statistics. It's better to load the mounts considerably less if you want to use it for photography - and don't forget the weight includes the counterweights.

I use my C9.25 on my EQ5 (CG5) now and then. I'd say it's pretty much at the upper limit with that OTA. With the HEQ5 being slightly beefier, It too would likely be at the upper limit with a C11. Don't be taken in with the maximum weight statistics. It's better to load the mounts considerably less if you want to use it for photography - and don't forget the weight includes the counterweights.

I did say it would be fine for visual, I've used my Meade 10" SCT on the HEQ5 and thats heavier than a C11. The quoted weight for that mount is without counterweights.:)

I did say it would be fine for visual, I've used my Meade 10" SCT on the HEQ5 and thats heavier than a C11. The quoted weight for that mount is without counterweights.:)

80lbs is a lot to hang off a HEQ5. Pretty marginal I would have thought.

80lbs is a lot to hang off a HEQ5. Pretty marginal I would have thought.

I don't know what my 10" Meade SCT weighs but its def. heavier than a C11 and I know from experience that the mount can take the Meade for visual use and Celestron sold the C11 on a smaller mount (admittedly that WAS too small IMHO).

As you say its at the upper end of what the mount can take but I suppose thats a call for the OP to make......:)

I wonder how much the mounting system used would affect the stability? Rail or tube rings? Which did you have in mind?

Also are you reasonably protected from the wind? And do you have the full focal length in mind or would you be working at f6.3?

Olly

Archived