SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Transferring plate solved coordinates and rotation from NINA to Stellarium

Andy56

Hi,

I've been using APT for about a year or so and thought I'd give NINA a try.

I've had a few successful nights but there's a feature in APT that I cannot find in NINA.

With APT you can plate solve an image from the camera or a file and send the coordinates to Stellarium with the "Show" button in the "Point Craft" window. This shows a box in Stellarium representing the image with the location and rotation. This is after I've set the focal length and sensor size etc. in Stellarium.

This allows me to check the coordinates and the rotation compared to an earlier session especially if I've rotated the camera wrt the telescope. Stellarium also shows the object and allows me to chose the rotation to get the best framing.

Does such a button exist in NINA? 

I can plate solve images in the Imaging screen but the image is not good as its only one sub usually.

Many thanks

Andy

1 hour ago, Andy56 said:

Hi,

I've been using APT for about a year or so and thought I'd give NINA a try.

I've had a few successful nights but there's a feature in APT that I cannot find in NINA.

With APT you can plate solve an image from the camera or a file and send the coordinates to Stellarium with the "Show" button in the "Point Craft" window. This shows a box in Stellarium representing the image with the location and rotation. This is after I've set the focal length and sensor size etc. in Stellarium.

This allows me to check the coordinates and the rotation compared to an earlier session especially if I've rotated the camera wrt the telescope. Stellarium also shows the object and allows me to chose the rotation to get the best framing.

Does such a button exist in NINA? 

I can plate solve images in the Imaging screen but the image is not good as its only one sub usually.

Many thanks

Andy

Easy, plate solve the image in apt and transfer the coordinates to the framing wizard in Nina and check the orientation 

1 hour ago, Andy56 said:

For taking more frames of the same target, as long as the platesolver can resolve it a single exposure has all the information you need (location, rotation) - and is much more accurate than you doing it by hand in Stellarium.

If you want to start in Stellarium so that you can pick your framing, there's a button in the Framing tab of Nina that will import the telescope co-ordinates from your planitarium software (make sure you've got Nina set up to talk to Stellarium) 

I feel the same need as the OP since I´m also moving from APT to NINA. 

There is no problem with a GOTO mount because NINA can slew and center automatically. But what about with a star tracker? With APT you solve the image and "show" the result in your planetarium (CdC in my case). Then you can see how far you are from the target and manually approach or rotate. AFAIK, in NINA´s framing wizard you can see the rotation of the camera if you´ve the target already framed. But how do you manually do the approach?

Since I haven´t found a way to do it with NINA, I keep on using APT for this purpose.

1 hour ago, barbulo said:

I feel the same need as the OP since I´m also moving from APT to NINA. 

There is no problem with a GOTO mount because NINA can slew and center automatically. But what about with a star tracker? With APT you solve the image and "show" the result in your planetarium (CdC in my case). Then you can see how far you are from the target and manually approach or rotate. AFAIK, in NINA´s framing wizard you can see the rotation of the camera if you´ve the target already framed. But how do you manually do the approach?

Since I haven´t found a way to do it with NINA, I keep on using APT for this purpose.

Within Apt you can setup a framing mask to help manually frame the target as it was before 

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.

So assuming there is no such button, I have played with NINA a bit more and found a couple of features I had not noticed before.

To match the previous images, I can plate solve one of them and note the rotation then use "Slew and centre". Then use the "Determine rotation from camera" to rotate my camera appropriately.

I'll give this a try tonight. Clear Outside tells me I've got about 5hrs tonight.

Barbulo: I have a Star Adventurer. I used a red dot finder to get the initial pointing correct and then had to do the same as you ie plate solve and view in a planetarium and adjust. I used APT for this and then bought a GoTo mount because I was spending far to much of the precious British clear skies just lining up the target.

Many thanks

Andy

• Thanks 1

Have you used the framing assistant in N.i.NA.

You can search for object in Sky Atlas, then send it to Framing Assistant where you can see sensor seize if set up properly from there you can move or rotate the sensor to get framing exactly.  You can then slew and centre or send to  target.

Most of the time now I don't even use stellerium.  If I do I will find my target and copy into framing assistant using tab.

Doug