Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ED100 and the moon tonight

Trevor N

Third one with Calvius is pretty good, the other two look too soft. Maybe focus/seeing issue? Theoretically a 100mm scope should resolve the largest craterlet A of Plato.

Edited by Nik271

12 hours ago, Nik271 said:

Third one with Calvius is pretty good, the other two look too soft. Maybe focus/seeing issue? Theoretically a 100mm scope should resolve the largest craterlet A of Plato.

Thanks Nick. I agree. The seeing was pretty naff to be honest but just wanted to get something. I have picked up a couple of small craters in Plato with this scope before. I also think a good test are the small craters in Rutherford. I’ve attached an earlier shot of the Clavius region with this scope. They are just visible. CEF68B66-730B-4B9D-8219-0C7A950CD950.jpeg.66618d6626547b553c121caf95cfec20.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice..the ED100 had (has!) good optics..whether Skywatcher or Celestron badged,  it was always the mechanics that let it down..fine focus was always an exercise in frustration, I found, but with a decent upgraded focuser such as Moonlite it was transformed into a really good, affordable ED scope.

That last image is a cracker!👍

Dave

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

Nice..the ED100 had (has!) good optics..whether Skywatcher or Celestron badged,  it was always the mechanics that let it down..fine focus was always an exercise in frustration, I found, but with a decent upgraded focuser such as Moonlite it was transformed into a really good, affordable ED scope.

Dave

I will second that.  I had  a Champagne  Gold ED100 some years ago and I fitted a Moonlite focuser to it to do justice to the telescopes Objectve, a very fine doublet indeed.  One of a few scopes That I have very fond memories of.

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 19:58, F15Rules said:

Dave

Thanks Dave. I agree with that. The single speed “gold” focuser was a challenge. I’ve always liked the ED100. I know it’s F9 but works well with an sct 6.5 reducer for deep sky. Not bad on the moon and planets as well so a bit if an all rounder I think. 

• Like 1

On 02/02/2023 at 21:24, Saganite said:

I will second that.  I had  a Champagne  Gold ED100 some years ago and I fitted a Moonlite focuser to it to do justice to the telescopes Objectve, a very fine doublet indeed.  One of a few scopes That I have very fond memories of.

Agree with that Steve. I like the ED100 and having just returned from astrofest today and seen the modern refractors ( and particularly their prices !!) I think my ED100 will be with me for awhile yet !!

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Trevor N said:

Agree with that Steve. I like the ED100 and having just returned from astrofest today and seen the modern refractors ( and particularly their prices !!) I think my ED100 will be with me for awhile yet !!

Hi Trevor,

I think you'd have to spend a lot of money to get a better ED 100 lens. If you intend to keep the scope, why not consider upgrading the focuser?

FLO have this one:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astro-essentials-focusers/astro-essentials-2-dual-speed-crayford-focuser-for-sky-watcher-refractor-telescopes.html

It fits the SW ED100 which is virtually identical to your scope. This is FLO's  own branded version of an upgraded two speed focuser that has been around for years..I installed one on my Celestron ED100 and it transformed the enjoyment of using the scope, and it also enhanced the resale value when the time came to move it on.

You will have 3 retaining screws on your it's tube at the focuser end, spaced at 120 degrees apart..these attach your focuser to the OTA tube.

Simply remove these screws carefully, and you will be able to just pull the old focuser out..then you simply push in the new focuser, rotate to be in line with your finder scope to the left of too centre, and tighten up the screws..job done!😊

I'm 99.9% sure this will fit your scope..in the extremely unlikely event that it didn't fit, FLO are superb at allowing returns and full refund👍.

HTH,

Dave

• Like 2

Hey Trevor!   I had that EXACT same scope!  My first!!   Its a lovely scope,  and I found the single speed focuser to be super smooth and easy to get focus.   I thought of picking up another one for my grab and go setup,  but went with the smaller 102ED.   The 100/9 gives slightly better views I think - but a bit longer than I wanted.

Nice shots,   especially the last.

Hope you are well my friend!

Clear skies!

Mike

Here is my old 100ED (first scope)...  with my old C8 (first reflector).   

i-RHKfF7t-XL.jpg.8cf005ba7a583a3f2ef01c37d4959b9f.jpg

12 hours ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Hey Trevor!   I had that EXACT same scope!  My first!!   Its a lovely scope,  and I found the single speed focuser to be super smooth and easy to get focus.   I thought of picking up another one for my grab and go setup,  but went with the smaller 102ED.   The 100/9 gives slightly better views I think - but a bit longer than I wanted.

Nice shots,   especially the last.

Hope you are well my friend!

Clear skies!

Mike

Here is my old 100ED (first scope)...  with my old C8 (first reflector).   

i-RHKfF7t-XL.jpg.8cf005ba7a583a3f2ef01c37d4959b9f.jpg

Hello Mike. I can remember you having the ED100 and then the ED120. I still have both. I did try the 150 but found it a real beast for not much gain. I use a 180 Mak when nights will allow. That APM 140 you have certainly produces fine images. Trevor

• Like 1