Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Converting cartesian x,y,z positions in an ECEF frame into RA and dec in a topocentric frame?

MagicConch

Hi everyone,

I have the position of a satellite in cartesian coordinates measured in the ECEF frame (i.e. the position of the satellite is given in [x,y,z] coordinates with the Earth-center at the origin) and I want to convert this to and RA and Dec position as seen by the observer (topocentric frame).

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

There are python modules that would do this (Pyephem and Skyfield)

If you want to do it the hard way, then first convert to Azimuth & Altitude at your location. Then there are well documented equations to go from AltAz to RA & Dec (requiring your latitude and sidereal time)

• Like 1

On 30/01/2023 at 22:45, AstroKeith said:

There are python modules that would do this (Pyephem and Skyfield)

If you want to do it the hard way, then first convert to Azimuth & Altitude at your location. Then there are well documented equations to go from AltAz to RA & Dec (requiring your latitude and sidereal time)

Hi, I managed to do this however I've noticed that the RA and dec have some offsets about 5 degrees and declination by about half a degree of what they should be, any idea what could cause this?

Interesting.

You are so close, that it looks like your basic method is right.

First are you sure your input coordinates, and the final result you are using as a reference are correct?! Are they all at the current epoch (it is now usual to publish some data in the ICRS frame, ie J2000)

A useful check can be to compare your computation of sidereal time, with that from a planetarium App such as SkySafari.

I might guess that the first stage, x,y,z to AltAz is most likely to have an error (AltAz to RADec is more defined).