Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Please will one of you eagle eyed selenographers identify which bit I happily imaged on a cold night in January.

Hawksmoor

On the evening of 02 January 2023 and whilst I was getting focus sorted out for imaging Mars I captured an avi clip of the lunar limb. I wasn't really taking much notice of what I was imaging but more  focussed on focus!  As I was using a x3 Barlow it is very easy to get lost on the Moon. Anyway taking for read that 'I'm good for my age' I would be very pleased to be informed as to just what I managed to photograph. I have used the Virtual Moon Atlas but incident lighting makes all the difference so would welcome some help. Please note, up is not necessarily North or any cardinal point for that matter! My best guess is  Mare Smythii area but only a guess. Best regards George2072029032_Moon03.thumb.png.6400890cda1d8a520a260682d1de2c99.png

Jan2nd, you were looking at the mare australae, which would have been on the lower right on the edge of the moon as you looked at it, the top right as your scope rotated it 180degrees

With craters oken and lyot (and surrounding ones) visible. I have marked the region on an image taken from NASA dial a moon which gives a photo realistic image for any date and time.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5048

Peter

44D49F66-2A2C-4A7B-90C1-B98CE558D057.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

Jan2nd, you were looking at the mare australae, which would have been on the lower right on the edge of the moon as you looked at it, the top right as your scope rotated it 180degrees

With craters oken and lyot (and surrounding ones) visible. I have marked the region on an image taken from NASA dial a moon which gives a photo realistic image for any date and time.

https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5048

Peter

44D49F66-2A2C-4A7B-90C1-B98CE558D057.jpeg

Thank you Peter for this excellent reply including the NASA link which I will find very useful when I next get lost on the surface of the Moon. I very much appreciate your assistance.

George

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

From the LROC quick map. Not a favourable libration on the LROC but it does name the features for you.

LROCMA1.thumb.jpg.9094711fa81ae2ccbf63d92627f9f79f.jpg

Thank you very much Michael. Features on the lunar limb seem to vary significantly with both phase and libration.  At least I will now get my image the right way up - come to think about it I'm not sure whether the Universe has a right or a wrong way up?

"Live long and prosper"  George taking a relaxed role on a grey Lowestoft Sunday.

• Like 1

Look at libration charts to determine when it is best to go peeling round the different edges of the moon. I caught parts of the Mare Orientale last year for the first time, helped by the nasa page to work out which little smear was which.

Peter