Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can you stop Cartes du Ciel from centering objects on search ?

Spaced Out

But if you are searching for an object that is not in the current chart, then how else can it inform you where such target is ?? - Knowing that the target is bang in the centre of the presented map means it's easy to find, right click and select the slew to target option.

Yes, there is now a way to do that :)

Install the last beta version 4.3 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/skychart/files/0-beta/

Click the magnify glass icon or menu Edit / Advanced search.
Select what you want to search and click the button "Find info", this mark the object on the chart without moving and open the detail information window.

Patrick

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Patrick Chevalley said:

Yes, there is now a way to do that :)

Install the last beta version 4.3 from https://sourceforge.net/projects/skychart/files/0-beta/

Click the magnify glass icon or menu Edit / Advanced search.
Select what you want to search and click the button "Find info", this mark the object on the chart without moving and open the detail information window.

Patrick

It does pop up the info, and the chart remains unchanged.  - So to answer the OP, current release version of CdC doesn't have this option, but a beta release does have an option to display info on a target that is not in the view of the current chart without changing the focus to that target by centring it on the screen 

The part that confuses me (easily done I know 🙄) is why would you want to keep a chart open if the target you are searching for (and presumably to target with a goto scope) is outside the "field of view" of the existing chart ?  - Anyway it doesn't really matter as I guess the beta version provides the OP with the functionality they wanted ?

23 hours ago, Patrick Chevalley said:

I don't know for the OP, but for me this is interesting when using a full sky chart with a specific orientation and zenith on the center.  I not want this change when I check the location of some object.

If you are working from Chart 1 that you don't want to change simply click FILE and select New Chart, and then search for the next target., which will be centred in the chart and circled with a label  - you can then flick between the two charts

Edited by malc-c
typo
  • Like 1