Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What are your reccomendations for deep space and general viewing?

Another satisfied Mak 127 on AZGTi customer here! Great advice from @Zermelo above, especially on finders for the Mak 127. 

I've had mine for 2 years and love it - robust, highly portable, easy to handle (nice and short!), forgiving on eyepieces, doesn't require collimation and optics that punch well above their cost. This combination really got me off to a good start and rekindled my enthusiasm for the hobby and I've enjoyed super, apollo-like views of the moon, Saturn (rings, Cassini division, surface banding 3 moons), Jupiter (4 moons endlessly moving around it including shadow transits, good banding with on the best nights some swirls and barges, great red spot) and recently Mars (poles, cloud and larger surface features).   Its great on Double Stars - the closest split I've made with it being Tegmine in Cancer but there are loads of doubles close and wide & with contrasting colours to enjoy!  The Mak is great on all but the widest star clusters so there are lots of beautiful arrangements to see (M35/36/37/38 all great targets at this time of year), its good on globular clusters - resolving stars in M13 and M5 for example, will easily show the smoke-ring shape of M57, the dumbell shape of M27, lots of structure in the Orion nebula (M42) and show some form in the brighter galaxies M81/M82, M51 for example. 

The StarTravel 102 you highlight in your last post  is a great scope too, but a very different beast being much better suited to lower power viewing of wider star fields.  This is because its a "fast" telescope at f4.9 (i.e. the ratio between the diameter of the objective lens at 102mm and the length at 500mm is 4.9 times).   This means that a 10mm EP in the StarTravel 102 will deliver x50 Magnification whereas the same eyepiece in the Mak would give 150x (it being a "slower" telescope at f12).  The ST102 is a great tool for widefield viewing, I have its little brother the ST80 and use it lots alongside my Mak for higher powers. 

That said, all the 'scopes you are looking at have their particular strengths and will give views good enough to well and truly give you "the bug" - so rest assured on that first purchase, there are few wrong answers and (just as you might eventually buy additional lenses if you became serious about photography) you'll almost certainly end up buying more than one telescope over time :) 

Clear skes and whatever you choose, go out and use it often! 

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

Another satisfied Mak 127 on AZGTi customer here! Great advice from @Zermelo above, especially on finders for the Mak 127. 

I've had mine for 2 years and love it - robust, highly portable, easy to handle (nice and short!), forgiving on eyepieces, doesn't require collimation and optics that punch well above their cost. This combination really got me off to a good start and rekindled my enthusiasm for the hobby and I've enjoyed super, apollo-like views of the moon, Saturn (rings, Cassini division, surface banding 3 moons), Jupiter (4 moons endlessly moving around it including shadow transits, good banding with on the best nights some swirls and barges, great red spot) and recently Mars (poles, cloud and larger surface features).   Its great on Double Stars - the closest split I've made with it being Tegmine in Cancer but there are loads of doubles close and wide & with contrasting colours to enjoy!  The Mak is great on all but the widest star clusters so there are lots of beautiful arrangements to see (M35/36/37/38 all great targets at this time of year), its good on globular clusters - resolving stars in M13 and M5 for example, will easily show the smoke-ring shape of M57, the dumbell shape of M27, lots of structure in the Orion nebula (M42) and show some form in the brighter galaxies M81/M82, M51 for example. 

The StarTravel 102 you highlight in your last post  is a great scope too, but a very different beast being much better suited to lower power viewing of wider star fields.  This is because its a "fast" telescope at f4.9 (i.e. the ratio between the diameter of the objective lens at 102mm and the length at 500mm is 4.9 times).   This means that a 10mm EP in the StarTravel 102 will deliver x50 Magnification whereas the same eyepiece in the Mak would give 150x (it being a "slower" telescope at f12).  The ST102 is a great tool for widefield viewing, I have its little brother the ST80 and use it lots alongside my Mak for higher powers. 

That said, all the 'scopes you are looking at have their particular strengths and will give views good enough to well and truly give you "the bug" - so rest assured on that first purchase, there are few wrong answers and (just as you might eventually buy additional lenses if you become serious about photography) you'll almost certainly end up buying more than one telescope over time :) 

Clear skes and whatever you choose, go out and use it often! 

Some great advice there buddy......... im seriously considering the 127 but upon shopping around have noticed i can get the The ST102,  and an extra 32mm eye piece and moon filter for £100 less than the skywatcher 127.

Do i just bite the bullet and get the 127 arghhhh

28 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

Edited by gamermole

@gamermole your dilemma is a fun problem to have and the "which bit of gear is best to buy" question occupies huge swathes of this forum :) 

As @Beardy30 mentioned above, the AZGTi is a super little mount & actually down the road you can pick up a used ST80 for around £100 or something like the sharper Evostar ED72 for £200 ish if you keep your eyes peeled on the classifieds. 

Don't know if you saw this post which is a good summary of what the StarTravel 102 is good & less good at:   

2 hours ago, Ricochet said:

I think I would probably go for the 150i as a more all round scope. On planets and the moon the 127 mak might just edge it but for DSOs the Newtonian will be the better scope. The larger aperture will mean that you can see slightly fainter stars and that your optimum magnifications are slightly higher, making objects a touch easier to see. The shorter focal length (half) means that when you want it, you can have a wider (double) field of view. You can also get a larger exit pupil, which is useful if your went to add filters to view nebulae, although from a Bortle 5 site this might only apply to the Orion, dumbbell and ring nebulae.

However, the downside of the fast focal ratio is that you need to purchase better corrected eyepieces. The 5, 8, 12 mm BST starguiders will all work well with the telescope but for your widest field of view eyepiece you will need to buy either a 24mm StellaLyra UFF or Es 68. If you buy the Mak the longer focal who means that all of the starguiders will work although you will want to add a 32mm plossl as well in order to get a larger exit pupil.

The 127 Mak is the more portable of the two scopes. The telescope and the azgti head will fit into a backpack with a few eyepieces leaving only the tripod for you to carry. As the azgti uses a photographic 3/8” fitting, a tripod that is even more compact could be added later to make transportation even easier.

Overall it is a difficult choice and I don't think that there is really a wrong option when choosing between these two telescopes.

Are you aware that the primary on the Discovery 150 is fixed and can’t be collimated?

3 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Are you aware that the primary on the Discovery 150 is fixed and can’t be collimated?

this was something i was thinking too, thats one of the reasons why i looked at the skywatcher 127 as it said its rare it needs collimating

Just now, gamermole said:

this was something i was thinking too, thats one of the reasons why i looked at the skywatcher 127 as it said its rare it needs collimating

I never needed to touch mine in over a year of use(lots of use)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gamermole said:

i really dont know how you guys hit the PURCHASE button at checkout. it may be as im new to this and never bought a scope before but £550 seems hefty, im even considerring a cheaper refractor scope seeing as im only upgrading from a pair of celestron binoculars.

Im wondering if this scope is worth considering and maybe with the money saved on buying a new eyepiece to go along with it?

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-startravel-102-az-go2-wifi-refractor-telescope.html

550 is a drop in the bucket.  There are eyepieces that cost 3x that.  Hit a outreach program and get some hands on time with scopes.  It will help you figure it out 

24 minutes ago, Elp said:

Same as azgti then.

Yes, pretty much. Though in saying that I had my 127 fitted with a heavy 2” diagonal, a telrad and a heated dew shield,plus a substantial eyepiece and it coped admirably .

Edited by bosun21
Add info

26 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

It can't be collimated in the traditional manner but I believe that it can be done, albeit a little crudely by loosening the screws connecting the mirror cell to the tube and moving the whole cell. Once collimated it should then be stable enough that it doesn't need doing again. There are better 150mm Newtonians available, but not on alt-az go-to mounts in the OP's price range.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ricochet said:

It can't be collimated in the traditional manner but I believe that it can be done, albeit a little crudely by loosening the screws connecting the mirror cell to the tube and moving the whole cell. Once collimated it should then be stable enough that it doesn't need doing again. There are better 150mm Newtonians available, but not on alt-az go-to mounts in the OP's price range.

Agreed, but not something a beginner wants to confront. Just something to consider.

Edited by bosun21
Typo

25 minutes ago, gamermole said:

out of curiousity, just how trust worthy is it buying from ads like https://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=194554 and also what backpack do you guys use to take the 127 out and about?

I use a great big 130l Eagle Creek wheeled duffel bag, but then I put the tripod in there too. Scope and mount would fit in a much smaller standard walkers rucsack of about 40l+ I'd say.   I saved the moulded foam end packaging that came with the telescope and cut up an old sleep mat to give a protective "jacket" for the tube so it all stays nice and safe.  

On Astrobuysell, I haven't shopped on there much but its moderated I believe and typically astro-types keep their gear in good condition and are honest about condition.  The rate this thread is growing, you'll get access to the SGL classifieds soon (25 posts I believe) & I have made quite a few happy & safe purchases from members on here :) 

8 minutes ago, SuburbanMak said:

I use a great big 130l Eagle Creek wheeled duffel bag, but then I put the tripod in there too. Scope and mount would fit in a much smaller standard walkers rucsack of about 40l+ I'd say.   I saved the moulded foam end packaging that came with the telescope and cut up an old sleep mat to give a protective "jacket" for the tube so it all stays nice and safe.  

On Astrobuysell, I haven't shopped on there much but its moderated I believe and typically astro-types keep their gear in good condition and are honest about condition.  The rate this thread is growing, you'll get access to the SGL classifieds soon (25 posts I believe) & I have made quite a few happy & safe purchases from members on here :) 

I didnt even realise there was classified ads on SGL but i think ive decided that im definately getting the sky watcher 127 on the az mount.

• Like 1

To view the SGL classified you need to attain a post count and time.
Sorry I don't recall the numbers. It may be 1 month & 25 posts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
If I am right, you don't have far to go.

If one of us points you to an advert or member selling right now that is against the spirit/rules of the classifieds.

SGL is primarily a discussion/advice forum. The sale/wanted is only a small part that has unfortunately been abused in the past - resulting in the restriction.

HTH, David.

Edited by Carbon Brush

@gamermole while you are deciding and looking at options etc, there is a really extensive thread on the forum in regards to the AZ-GTi mount 

Personally, I love this little mount, the fact that I can pick it up fully assembled with one hand, carry it out into the garden and be up and observing in a matter of minutes really helps. It seems to last for ages on AA batteries too which is a bonus 👍

The skymax 127 bundle is great, picked mine up for about £300 barely used. The 127 is also a well-loved scope and fairly versatile, however not the best for wide-field views. That said if you get the bug like the rest of us, it won't be your last scope and would be complimented well by a fast refractor such as a shortube 80 as mentioned above or even a small APO such as the ED80 if budget allows and both could be used on the AZ-GTi

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

To view the SGL classified you need to attain a post count and time.
Sorry I don't recall the numbers. It may be 1 month & 25 posts. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
If I am right, you don't have far to go.

If one of us points you to an advert or member selling right now that is against the spirit/rules of the classifieds.

SGL is primarily a discussion/advice forum. The sale/wanted is only a small part that has unfortunately been abused in the past - resulting in the restriction.

HTH, David.

My bad sorry i didnt realise that was against the rules.

1 hour ago, doublevodka said:

@gamermole while you are deciding and looking at options etc, there is a really extensive thread on the forum in regards to the AZ-GTi mount 

Personally, I love this little mount, the fact that I can pick it up fully assembled with one hand, carry it out into the garden and be up and observing in a matter of minutes really helps. It seems to last for ages on AA batteries too which is a bonus 👍

The skymax 127 bundle is great, picked mine up for about £300 barely used. The 127 is also a well-loved scope and fairly versatile, however not the best for wide-field views. That said if you get the bug like the rest of us, it won't be your last scope and would be complimented well by a fast refractor such as a shortube 80 as mentioned above or even a small APO such as the ED80 if budget allows and both could be used on the AZ-GTi

Yeah upon doing some research it appears that the mount is great. its now the scope im not too sure about. although the 127 looks like a great scope, everybody seems to mention its small fov.

also another question to all. although im wanting to use the sky master 127 for visual, im guessing its possible to attack a dslr camera for photography using an attachment? such as this camera? https://store.canon.co.uk/canon-eos-2000d-body/2728C004/

Edited by gamermole

51 minutes ago, gamermole said:

Yeah upon doing some research it appears that the mount is great. its now the scope im not too sure about. although the 127 looks like a great scope, everybody seems to mention its small fov.

Hi @gamermole   - a couple of suggestions -

* have a look on gostargazing.co.uk to see if there are any Astro Societies near you or any Astro Events where people are likely to have telescopes with them. This should give you a chance to have a look through a range of 'scopes, as that will help you get an idea of what you want to look at, and thus, what telescope will do best for you. 

* similarly, I don't know if you're one for camping, but if you are I would thoroughly recommend going to a Star Party before you get yourself a telescope.  Again, people are likely to have a range of telescopes, and if you ask, they will mostly be happy for you to have a look through them (assuming they're not using them for imaging). You don't need to own your own scope to go, and there should be a good variety to consider. 

The only downside of Star Parties is that they are usually located in places with skies that are significantly darker than average, so you need to be aware that smaller scopes may well not perform so well at home. 

The first telescope that I was generally happy with was a Synscan 127 Mak, and if I want to look at the planets or close up on the Moon, that's the one I go for; however, I get far more joy from my little 72mm Refractor for looking at open clusters and galactic nebulae - the wider field of view helps to find the targets in the first place, but not only that, it helps to put them into context. 

Both of these go on my AZ-GTi mount - which is very reliable and easy to use - a particularly neat feature is its ability to track targets even if you haven't completed an alignment - if you can find it and get it centred by eye, then you can select "Point and Track" and it will keep it in the field of view for hours. 

Edited by Gfamily

I understand that you want to make the best possible decision on your first buy. I spent ages analysing all the options before I bought mine.

But there's only so far that you can go without diving in somewhere. There will always be different opinions, even on apparently objective criteria, and your view may turn out to be different, once you've tried for yourself.

In my case, I started with a Star Discovery 150i, which you mention, and I've been very happy with it. I learned a bit about the sky, and observing, and then I bought another OTA (optical tube assembly - i.e. the scope minus a mount or tripod) - the Skymax 127. I can use that on the same mount, and it has given me more options. Then I got a 102mm refractor, and I use that on the same mount too.

I think that whichever you buy out of the three that you've mentioned will give you pleasure, allow you to see a good range of objects, and help you to learn. When you (or your wallet) is ready to buy again, you will have a better idea where you want to go next.

Edited by Zermelo
  • Like 1