Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Green Swamp Server

Doug64

HI,

I'm trying to give Green Swamp Server a go to see what its like, however I'm having difficulties getting it to run (Great Start).

I've downloaded the software onto my Win11 computer and loaded it as usual.

When I try to connect the software to my Skywatcher HEQ5 I get the below Error message and it is not showing up in my ports.

Does anyone know what this is and how I fix it.

Thanks

Doug

image.thumb.png.47ef1507f9bca0a66b3e2054fa987cdf.png

The error message is pointing out that the software is expecting a device on Port 1, but device manager is showing no device on the port.... 

If your device is connected ok, then you must either change the port allocation in device manager (right click/properties/port settings/advanced/COM port number) or update the settings in the software. 

It seems likely it's still a com port mismatch between GSS and your mount. I assume you don't need the prolific usb driver as I don't see it in devices? If port 3, 5 or 6 is your mount I'd configure that in GSS along with the baud rate needed, for me it's 115200.

12 hours ago, scotty38 said:

It seems likely it's still a com port mismatch between GSS and your mount. I assume you don't need the prolific usb driver as I don't see it in devices? If port 3, 5 or 6 is your mount I'd configure that in GSS along with the baud rate needed, for me it's 115200.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using a Lynx Astro FTDI cable to connect my HEQ5 mount to PC.   The mount is using Com Port 1 checked by disconnecting the cable whilst viewing the Com Ports under device manager.  From everything I've read the baud rate for this should be 9600 which I've set up in GSS, Eqmod and in Com 1  under device manager, I've also ensured everything is set to Com 1.  When I tried to connect GSS I  now get the 'failed message.  Eqmod connects without a problem, I'm certain its a driver issue but I can't seem to resolve it.

For the time being I will have to stick with Eqmod which works.

Thanks again for your advice.

Regards 

Doug

image.thumb.png.4adb87e71e20c855083fbd0abe4c1c11.png

Image showing Com 1 and Baud 9600 in Eqmod.

image.thumb.png.046357ea2224e6fd8eab15c6ab033917.png

Image showing Com 1 and Baud 9600 in GSS.

image.thumb.png.026c4c596a196c7a50cf775869ef91c3.png

Image showing Com 1 under Ports in Device manger, this is also set to baud 9600

image.thumb.png.e2e4727826ef101f39964ffe3f92179f.png

Image showing the error message I get.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Doug64 said:

Image showing Com 1 under Ports in Device manger, this is also set to baud 9600

Don't see everything in that screenshot, but it seems you have lots of devices plugged in. Many things use the FTDI-driver, wireless adapters and controller boards among some. Caused my a lot of headache once. Unplug all but the one to the mount.

It’s because you already have EQMOD connected to COM 1 so GSS won’t connect, you need to restart the PC and DONT OPEN EQMOD, go straight to GSS and try it again assuming it’s still on COM 1

I use GSS all the time and has been flawless TBH

Edited by Stuart1971

I dumped EQMOD the other week because I had nothing but problems with it. It was installed to run an Intel NUC via the Win 10 PRO Remote Desktop Connection application but it seemed to just crashed every other minute and caused all kinds of other problems. I uninstalled EQMOD and then installed GSS. It worked perfectly the first time out and continues to work without any problems. I take it that you finally uninstalled EQMOD and that solved your problems with GSS? I am also using the SkyWatcher HEQ-5 PRO.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheChief said:

I dumped EQMOD the other week because I had nothing but problems with it. It was installed to run an Intel NUC via the Win 10 PRO Remote Desktop Connection application but it seemed to just crashed every other minute and caused all kinds of other problems. I uninstalled EQMOD and then installed GSS. It worked perfectly the first time out and continues to work without any problems. I take it that you finally uninstalled EQMOD and that solved your problems with GSS? I am also using the SkyWatcher HEQ-5 PRO.

Doug has stated that he resolved the issue and is using GSS, but doesn't comment if that involved removing EQMod.

I think that given the infinite permutations you can have between all the computers used in the world it's always a problem to say why one application works on one persons machine and not another.  I've used EQMod for the past 10 years to control my HEQ5 mount without issues.  I tried GSS but at the time it didn't support custom gear ratios which EQMod did (I developed the HEQ5 belt drive back in 2011 which used a standard 4:1 ratio), and all attempts to get it to function with GSS became frustrating.  You also have to take into account that EQMod was written to give basic control of the originators mount via a PC, and he originally done it for his own use.  At the time Visual basic was the language of choice for hobbyists, which these days is now obsolete, which is why GSS was developed as C+ is more stable on modern OS's.  I run windows 10 pro on the observatory PC and have had no issues with EQmod, but then the PC hardware is a few generation old, and maybe everything for me just gels and works fine.  

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to clarify  I didn't remove Eqmod.  

I found that stellerium was starting up Eqmod so when I tried to connect GSS the port was already in use.

I stopped Stellerium from starting Eqmod and GSS connected first time and works well.

I've never had a problem with Eqmod, I just wanted to give GSS a try as so many people were mentioning it 

Doug

• Like 1