Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So many sun spots right now

Marvin Jenkins

First time out with the WL on the 150 pds this year. I can’t believe how much surface activity there is right now.

Nothing but bad weather for ages and the skies cleared as I came home from work.

It would be rude not to get out after all my moaning, so a short session before the sun dips below the tree line. I did a quick biro doodle at the EP which is a first for me. I hope it doesn’t offend the amazing sketch astronomers on here.

Marvin686EE40A-A196-4E10-8521-CFE054B9FCF2.thumb.jpeg.8c93b630e803b30202da28539ce61d27.jpeg

• Like 5

Looks good! And I’m annoyed that I’ve missed it so far. I’m been keeping an eye on it but have had the flu, so even if the weather played ball I wasn’t able to do much.

But feeling better so possibly tomorrow morning if the forecast is anything to go by. 

1 hour ago, PeterStudz said:

Looks good! And I’m annoyed that I’ve missed it so far. I’m been keeping an eye on it but have had the flu, so even if the weather played ball I wasn’t able to do much.

But feeling better so possibly tomorrow morning if the forecast is anything to go by. 

We had Covid over Christmas and new year so feeling much like yourselves. 
Horrible weather day after day and by sheer chance a clear spell today.

I actually ummed and arrd for a minute or two, then had a stern word with myself. I didn’t know there was that much on show as I haven’t been keeping up with events. Sometimes when it is slim pickings Solar wl really saves my sanity.

Marv

• Like 1

After checking the Spaceweather website for the sunspot numbers and work out north south orientation I noticed something curious.

The spots seem to be in two horizontal bands similar to the EBs on Jupiter. 
Is it always like this? Some kind of natural mechanism? Or is just chance alignments this time?

Marv

This is a natural mechanism, according to "Observing The Sun" by Jamey L. Jenkins  (now there's a coincidence!) 

The 'bands' start towards the poles at solar minima and move towards the equator as the maximum approaches if I remember correctly.

'Butterfly' diagrams are used to show this.

As to the 'why' ... I'm afraid I can't remember if the book explained this.

Malcolm

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Wow! More spots than a thirteen year old boy! Glad I took the day off. Just having a coffee and a rest for my eyes!

using a Thousand Oaks filter on my Celestron 80ed with a Meade Coronado Cemax 25mm plossl, enough for me.

chaz…who’s caught the sun.

• Like 1